shifter cable boot replacement please help

Notices

shifter cable boot replacement please help

Old 05-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default shifter cable boot replacement please help

The boot thats on the shift cable that runs through the transom to the bravo outdrive is torn completely around. I am getting lots of water in the boat can water leak in the boat through this broken and torn boot?? I had the bellows and the gimble ring and all that stuff replaced about 4 years ago. Another question im pretty mechanical inclined if i buy the boot can I replace this myself?? Is there any instructions I can reference to if I run into a snag along the way?? Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anyone Out there??
Old 05-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes water does come in if the boot is split. This would be a good time to replace the cable as it has to come apart anyway.Order the cable kit with boot from Merc and it comes with the basic instructions.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replace your bellows, gimble bearing etc while your at it. 4 years is longer then I will ever give them...

BTW, NEVER get the standard shift cable. Always always always get the heavy-duty cable. There is a big difference between the two.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

If the boot is torn badly that is a pretty big hole for water to come in - probably an inch and a quarter diameter.

If you're mechanically inclined it is easy.

You'll pull the drive off, remove the bellhousing, unscrew the cable pull it out from the inside, and then replace in backwards order. Like other said if you've gone that far you might as well replace the drive shaft bellows as well.

You'll need to align the shift cable when it is back together. Mercruiser sells a tool, but I used a paint stirrer with a slot cut in it. You'll need to make a tool to knock the bellows retainer back in. I used a piece of galvanized pipe with a fitting on the end.
Attached Thumbnails shifter cable boot replacement please help-engine-023.jpg  

Last edited by seafordguy; 05-30-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

it is possible to unhook cable inside, tip drive all way up, and pull cable out of boat without removing from bell housing. change boot and put cable back in. doesn't mean it is a good idea. when storing the boat, put the drive(s) down!!! especially if in the water!!! leaving the boot stretched full length with drive up is what kills them.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I do leave my drive all the way up on the trailer and thats probly what got mine I didnt think about putting it down. I will start storing it in the down position. Im going to try and do this job myself, not sure what is meant by using the line up tool for the cable but im sure i wil see why once I get in there. Can this job be done in a day maybe? Thanks again guys for the help my money is very well spent being a member on this sight just by all the help thats been given to me.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it can be done in a day. You can also use your old cable as a "tool" to line up and bring in your new cable.

The only time I raise my drive all the way is taking it on/off the trailer. Even during the drive to/from the ramp I have it partially down (watch your ground clearance obviously). When in the water or in the carport, it is alway fully down/in.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I will be watching my drive height and start making sure i dont store or keep it in the full trim all the time from now on. I am going to get the parts now and start this little project. Thanks everyone for the help.