Oil seals in #3 Speedmaster >

Oil seals in #3 Speedmaster

Notices

Oil seals in #3 Speedmaster

Old 06-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Oil seals in #3 Speedmaster

Can someone tell me where the oil seals go exactly in the speedmaster drive. There is the large o ring that goes around the whole gear lube connection fitting between the gimble housing and drive and then there is that smaller flat looking washer like part that I am not sure where it goes. I put my drives back on and the gear lube is leaking in both of them. I am getting new o rings and oil seals but am unsure of exactly where the oil seal goes.
Thanks
Dale
Old 06-27-2012, 01:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The smaller oring goes off to the side where the quick-disconnect type drive oil passage is. If you put it on without the oring, it is not surprising that it starts draining the reservoir as soon as contact is made and the valves open. There is a groove on the drive face to retain the oring.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Registered

Are you talking about that grove right inside the opening for the smaller ring? Do you put it in there and then slide drive on or can you put it on the silver fitting sticking out from the gimbal and then slide drive on?
Old 06-28-2012, 12:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been a while since I put mine on, but I'm pretty sure you need to seat the o-ring into the groove prior to fitting up the drive. It should stay there on its own. If it doesn't, you may not have the right o-ring. These things usually stay in place on their own while shipping drives, and I've never seen one just fall out.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:34 AM
Registered

Ok thanks doing it today.