Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 27 fountain outdrive

Is it a true left upper......and what benefit is turning left hand
Old 06-28-2012, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Please do a search.

Last edited by Rookie; 06-28-2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Griswald did not like the video
Old 06-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Registered

Not trying to be negative here, but what is the point of posting that video? a right-hand drive is not making Jim's boat run 97mph.

Brb - - there have been quite a few threads on this subject already. I would do a search in the Fountain forum and you can probably have your questions answered.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by Griswald
Not trying to be negative here
When you start a comment with a statement like that you know you are being negative, but I understand your comment.

I am a boating enthusiast and when I see a boat similar to mine and performing well I want to know what their setups are. I think Jims boat performs decent for a 27 Fountain. I picked BlueThunders brain on his setup for his 90+mph Panther. I have also book marked most posts on any performance mods on 30' Panther or 30' Scarab and have seen all the videos on Youtube.

Sorry if it offended you. I took it down and I will tell him to do a search.

Jason
Old 06-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Getting back to the original question, every 27' and 29' single engine Fountain came with a left hand prop and drive from the factory. We were told that it addressed "some handling issues."
Old 06-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rookie
When you start a comment with a statement like that you know you are being negative, but I understand your comment.

Sorry if it offended you. I took it down and I will tell him to do a search.

Jason
Quite the contrary......which is why I put the disclaimer there in the first place. I'm not offended one bit. This is the interweb and people have been interpreting things their own way since its inception. I was merely trying to be helpful and point out that this topic has been covered numerous times. All it takes is a little effort on one's part to find what you are looking for. There was no need to modify your post, IMO.

Jim's boat hauls ass for a 27 Fountain and there's no denying it. As a fact though, it does not haul ass because it turns a right-hand prop.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

p.s. I love that video!

Last edited by Griswald; 06-28-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Single V's have a tendency to lean to the left due to prop torque. I recently did some testing regarding this issue.

My boat 30' Superboat, 525efi, Bravo w/ITS, RH prop.

After driving the boat for a season and having to use a lot of left tab, or adjust passengers I decided to try a LH prop. I tried a LH 26P Maximus, I was previously using a RH 26 Maximus, or RH 28P Bravo. The LH prop did correct the leaning issue.

Now the not so good part for me. The motor/OD had about 175 hours on it running a RH prop. About 10 hours after switching to a LH prop my drive self destructed.

Coincidence? Who knows? People say you can spin a bravo either way. But, I wonder if it gets broken in RH, the gears develope a wear pattern. There are different schools of thought on this issue.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
Single V's have a tendency to lean to the left due to prop torque. I recently did some testing regarding this issue.

My boat 30' Superboat, 525efi, Bravo w/ITS, RH prop.

After driving the boat for a season and having to use a lot of left tab, or adjust passengers I decided to try a LH prop. I tried a LH 26P Maximus, I was previously using a RH 26 Maximus, or RH 28P Bravo. The LH prop did correct the leaning issue.
I'm curious now. If the right hand prop made the boat list to port while under way than why wouldn't it do the opposite with the left hand prop?
I totally agree with the RH prop making it list to port as I know of it first hand in my boat. I have side wall fuel tanks which I can control seperately so thats how I keep it level as well as playing musical chairs with the passengers.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Registered

Default ok

I was told it was to offset motor torque under acceleration
Old 06-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by picklenjim
I'm curious now. If the right hand prop made the boat list to port while under way than why wouldn't it do the opposite with the left hand prop?
I can't offer any technical explanation....just what I've experienced.

I think most newer 30 Superboats use LH props now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.