Notices

XR Driven Gear Problems

Old 07-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XR Driven Gear Problems

Hey Guys,

Broke two teeth off the driven gear on my starboard drive. Has less than 20 hours on it since complete top to bottom rebuild. Mechanic is not the problem.

Any ideas on what could have caused this?.

What does Merc do for guaranteeing their parts??

Thanks
Old 07-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkDonzi
Hey Guys,

Broke two teeth off the driven gear on my starboard drive. Has less than 20 hours on it since complete top to bottom rebuild. Mechanic is not the problem.

Any ideas on what could have caused this?.

What does Merc do for guaranteeing their parts??

Thanks
Sorry to hear but I don't think Merc will do anything UNLESS the repairs were done at a Merc Dealer.

The dealers (sometimes depending on status) can push in the right areas with the right person and maybe get some help.

But if you bought the gears and had your own guy or yourself do the labor then you are basically on your own.

There is no warranty for gears bought over the counter regardless.

Know how ya feel!

There is no shortage of XR Gear problems on here..

Last edited by SDFever; 07-07-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:10 AM
Registered

Sorry bud, you wont get anywhere with Mercury. If it was a less common occurrence i would say that you might have a shot, but that failure is pretty commonplace around here.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:43 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Guys, here is my experience, and we sell a lot of Mercury parts.

All Mercury parts (with a few exceptions) are warranted for 1 year regardless of who does the install. Having said that if the failure is caused by improper installation or abuse the warranty will be void.

If a dealer did the original instal & subsequent repair then labor is covered also, otherwise no labor but the parts are still covered.

The hi-perf stuff gets a little touchy. Things like racing, putting an XR behind 800HP, modifications,etc. Running without lube is a no-no.

If the gears are behind a stock Merc engine and are less than a year old and were properly installed I don't think you will have a problem. Regardless of the engine if the prop shaft and vertical shaft in the lower are also twisted then the word "abuse" will come up.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Mbam

All Mercury parts (with a few exceptions) are warranted for 1 year regardless of who does the install. Having said that if the failure is caused by improper installation or abuse the warranty will be void.

If a dealer did the original instal & subsequent repair then labor is covered also, otherwise no labor but the parts are still covered.

The hi-perf stuff gets a little touchy. Things like racing, putting an XR behind 800HP, modifications,etc. Running without lube is a no-no.

If the gears are behind a stock Merc engine and are less than a year old and were properly installed I don't think you will have a problem. Regardless of the engine if the prop shaft and vertical shaft in the lower are also twisted then the word "abuse" will come up.
All work was performed by a Hi Performance Merc Certified mechanic who also purchased
all the parts.

Drives are on stock 600 SCI's.

Is it up to the mechanic to make the claim to Merc or should I persue it myself?

Thanks
Old 07-08-2012, 09:01 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

The claim has to be processed by an authorized Merc dealer.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

How can you get parts like gears warranted (parts only) when they typically say "if you installed it we don't know if it was done correctly"?

Just curious how to pull that off because I got caught up in this exact scenario. Would be nice to know the choice words..

Of course his certified tech can get on the phone and pull for him but what would you do without that card?

My experience in returning to dealer with broken parts is that you're on your own unless you have a friend.. and it depends what it is too. Gears have to be shimmed, backlash set etc... so they always use that.

Last edited by SDFever; 07-08-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: more question
Old 07-08-2012, 11:45 AM
Registered

The hi-perf stuff gets a little touchy. Things like racing, putting an XR behind 800HP, modifications,etc. Running without lube is a no
+1 on that
Old 07-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm saving up for some IMCO SCX uppers!!
Old 07-10-2012, 05:59 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 592 Likes on 272 Posts

Exactly!! That is MY next drive purchase.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.