Replacing U-Joints in Alpha One >

Replacing U-Joints in Alpha One

Notices

Replacing U-Joints in Alpha One

Old 07-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing U-Joints in Alpha One

I finally put the old Checkmate Inmate project boat in the water yesterday; everything was going well until I thought I would open the engine hatch to make sure everything looked ok. I noticed a small amount of water coming in through a small hole in the transom plate near the water intake hose. This hole appears to be a vent right above the transom bearing. The bellows don’t look bad but the U-joint bellows area was definitely where the water was coming from. I pulled the drive and sure enough, this was the problem. After researching it looks like a new bellows kit is in order. This looks to be a job that is not fun however doable (with some new tools). I checked the transom bearing and it will need replaced as well (its not too bad but might as well while I have it apart). Next I thought I would grease the U-joints and start my search for the bellows kit….. when I started to grease the U-joints both were full of water. I’m thinking both will definitely need to be replaced. I didn’t find as much info on replaced the U-joints. It looks like you have to remove the driveshaft from the outdrive to get to the U-joint closest to the drive housing. Any info/pointers on replacing the U-joints would be great.

Thanks
Speed
Old 07-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you pull the clips and bang out the u-joints like every other rwd driveshaft in the world. the joints are pass car units. 72 dodge mid size 318 v8 automatic.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks dereknkathy,
I was afraid the end caps of the U-joint closest to the outdrive housing would not come out without removing the driveshaft from the outdrive. if I can get them out without removing the driveshaft it should be no big deal.
Thanks again.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

yes, they just clear the big nut when they are turned just right...