Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Bravo XR, suddenly hard to shift? >

Bravo XR, suddenly hard to shift?

Notices

Bravo XR, suddenly hard to shift?

Old 08-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bravo XR, suddenly hard to shift?

Bravo XR's mated to stock Merc 575sci's. Engines and drives have a total of 40 hrs on them. Started the season with fresh syn oil on both drives.

Both drives shifted easy all season. Yesterday I shut down the engines for a few minutes, when I re-started the starboard shifter would not move forward or reverse using normal pressure. I shut them back down, checked the linkage, then re-started and tried again using more pressure. It went into gear both forward and reverse but I could feel the difference compared to the pirt shifter. Out the boat on plane, no issues. parked, re-started, ran again, parked again, no issues except hard shifting.

My question, is this a sign of something damaged internal or about to go? Or something that needs service/lubrication.

Back story on the boat, it sat unsold for 8 years with only 3 hrs on it

Thanks
Old 08-21-2012, 05:55 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pull the back cap and check the detent ball. The ball can fall out of it's holder and cause the symtoms you are describing.. Remember to drain the oil down before you pull the back cap. Also check the magnets for metal, any flakes or chunks, time to tear it down.

Hope that helps.
Dick