velvet drive 72c v drive question >

velvet drive 72c v drive question

Notices

Old 09-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello to all I hope everyone had a great boating summer. I have twin 7.4 mercruisers with velvet v- drives 72c .Im in the process of rebuilding both engines, mild hyd roller cam dual plane intake 9.25 compression ,nothing wild - its not a go fast boat. I was wanting to know before I get to deep into this will the v- drives and trans hold up. Im guessing about 425 to 450 hp 4500 rpm max. I have been told I will blow the drives out. Are there any mods I can do to the v- drives or trans while Im going through them. I ran a NHRA Top Alcohol funnycar for a few years and had a few NHRA class cars so Ive unstanderstand the stress factors on parts and so forth, just not had the experence with boats. Its a 38 ft 14.000 lbs cruiser top speed maybe 32 to 35 mph. I know you guys know your stuff thats why im here asking. any help ideas etc please let me know what you think, I just dont want to blow drives or trannys up .....Im getting old and want to relax and watch you guys run lol Thanks to all Jamie

Last edited by jamie 10017; 09-21-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:30 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

I think the V drive section will be ok, might not hurt to rem finish the gears but I don't think that is needed. Only time I have ever seen a broken one is when it was run low on fluid.

I would upgrade the trans itself, nothing too major just get 9 friction plates in it.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Registered

Thanks, who makes the 9 clutch pac kits? JAMIE
Old 09-23-2012, 01:26 AM
Registered

Anybody know who will sell the parts to install the 9 disc clutch pack? Thanks Jamie
Old 09-23-2012, 05:46 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Jaimie, Ideally there is more to it than just putting the clutches in. But in your case that might be all you need. I'll get a price to you on Monday. Send me a PM with your email address.