Notices

Nosecone ??

Old 10-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pqjack
just curious...at what speed nose cones start to make a difference?
im runnin 77-78 with an XR....
Every boats different. A common number thrown around is 85mph, over this nose cone "could" be required, under this speed shouldn't need one.
There are definitely exceptions to this however. My boat blows out at 75mph with a non nose coned box.
If you run your drive deep and are blowing out add a nose cone but keep it as small as possible, just enough to prevent blow out. Every extra bit of length added to gear case is extra drag.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Registered

Default Nosecone

70 MPH gets you 1 MPH, 80 - 2MPG but its get prop inefficiency too- I heard 15% slip down to 11%

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/3331172343.html - I have one for sale
Old 10-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I used to run low to mid 80's and added a Hydromotive nose cone to my B1 and it really settled the boat down and allowed me to run more trim. With the new motor, I wouldn't even think of not having a nose cone. It's been a huge improvement. I don't have low water pickups so I ported my existing to catch more water now that I'm running faster with more trim.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Registered

Default drilling side ports ?

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
Hydromotive, does not like any holes in front of the cone. You can drill the side water ports, if your X isnt too high and cover the low water pickup. Most my experience has been with V bottoms and Hydromotive cone works the best. Not sure about a cat though. I have dimensions for drilling the side ports if you want them.

Dick
can you send me those dimensions for drilling those holes & maybe a pic , thanks Dave.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:59 AM
Registered

Default nose cone

Is there somewhere i could send my xr lower off to and have the work done.. Have the hydromotive nose cone added..