Notices

XR Gear Materials

Old 11-06-2012, 10:00 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off the top of my head I don't remember what the alloy is that is used. Like Waconda stated, if you had a failure at 10 hrs and it was installed by a certified registered tech, you have a good case for a warranty claim.

The issue with any XR gears is that there is a stress riser at the back of each tooth where it is closest to the center hub. If exceeding stock horsepower, the clock is ticking away that it will fail.

I am in the process of making a better mouse trap. Un fortunately my progress is slow right now.

The pic shows what I am talking about.

Smitty
Attached Thumbnails XR Gear Materials-gear-test.png  
Old 11-07-2012, 12:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for how long they last i think they are using pot metal!!
Old 11-07-2012, 04:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Smitty
Off the top of my head I don't remember what the alloy is that is used. Like Waconda stated, if you had a failure at 10 hrs and it was installed by a certified registered tech, you have a good case for a warranty claim.

The issue with any XR gears is that there is a stress riser at the back of each tooth where it is closest to the center hub. If exceeding stock horsepower, the clock is ticking away that it will fail.

I am in the process of making a better mouse trap. Un fortunately my progress is slow right now.

The pic shows what I am talking about.

Smitty
Already tried Merc and they decided it was "Driver Abuse" that is why I am having it checked out independently. I have stock power within the HP range of the drives they don't want to back the gearset and with the number if these I have on the shelf I can't afford to drive the boat hard. This particular gear broke at the center cirle noted on your picture straight through the gear.

Last edited by MarkDonzi; 11-07-2012 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 11-07-2012, 06:34 AM
VIP Member

I'm sure all of us that have broken gears, cracked off the tooth at the same spot.

I am in the car repair business. Call the customer service line for Merc. Ask nicely first and then keep asking and asking and asking....the squeaky wheel gets the grease if you know what I mean.

Are you looking for total compensation or just for the gearset ??
Old 11-07-2012, 07:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MarkDonzi
Already tried Merc and they decided it was "Driver Abuse" that is why I am having it checked out independently. I have stock power within the HP range of the drives they don't want to back the gearset and with the number if these I have on the shelf I can't afford to drive the boat hard. This particular gear broke at the center cirle noted on your picture straight through the gear.
Merc denied a merc dealer warranty? Or did you try and get warranty yourself?
Old 11-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

With all the CNC technology available has anyone tried making some billet gears yet? There are some new ultra high strength steels like EN26. Heck I used to work in a die shop and used a piece of 6250 to make a sledge hammer over 30 years ago. I have beat the daylights out of all sorts of things and that piece of steel barely has any marks on it. For what everyone has spent on rebuilding drives it seems reasonable to consider making a set of $5000 gears to be done with the problem. I am going to hunt down a guy that's an Engineer for American axle and see if he can help with the material selection and manufacturing. Let me know what everyone would be willing to pay for some serious gears and what style would be the preferred type, I'm thinking XZ?
Old 11-07-2012, 10:34 AM
VIP Member

Thisislivin..

Already working on doing that. So far I have not found a gear guy who can match the tooth profile by cutting the gear. And a harder material is not the fix. You want the material to have a slight give and return otherwise the in and out of the water will break the teeth for sure. Removing the stress riser is the goal. The gear is also made of two pieces and fusion welded together. Stay tuned...............

Be interesting to see what your gear guy says......
Old 11-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Registered

I've looked into having gears made also. The problem is, it's a complex gear with the cone. The gear could be cnc profiled and heat treated but then it would have to be re-machined to put the bearing surface in the cone.

The present material seems to be something very soft like 1020 for easy near net forging and then it is carburized. The base material is too soft to support the thin hard layer so it just flakes off eventually. I would like to try S7 tool steel as it has good shock resistance and deep hardening properties. Enough steel to do 3 gears is about 200.00. The real cost is in the machining.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by waconda
Merc denied a merc dealer warranty? Or did you try and get warranty yourself?
Dealer
Old 11-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had Padnos shoot a sliced gear with their magic gun.. this is what they told me..
Zn 1.7%
Ni 3.0%
Cu 7.3%
Fe 86.7%
Mn .5%
Cr .14%
Ti .11%

Not sure if that is consistent, they only took one shot at it.. and can't remember what they said it was close to..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.