Drive install issue....alpha 1 gen 2 7.4mpi

Notices

Drive install issue....alpha 1 gen 2 7.4mpi

Old 11-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive install issue....alpha 1 gen 2 7.4mpi

Yes....I know that's a ton of motor.....

Here's tha deal...customers boat"

95 sea ray 23' cuddy with 5.0 and alpha 1 gen 2.
Motor blown, hires "pro" from local marina...
"pro" moonlights removes car motor with marine exhaust (another pro before him)
Pro 2 disappears with 5k and all parts except drive.
I meet customer via the granite shop next to mine....lots of boats and stuff around....
O.k....so owner wants to start over. I found a very low hour 7.4 mpi here from bdavis and he and I swapped measurements and compatibility concerns prior to making a deal.
7.4 arrived as advertised....excellent price that she (owner) paid directly....no markup from me.
Then....I gave her the invoices from merc for all of the missing peces needed to reinstall the engine and drive....

Now to the point. I charged her a flat 1100 labor for everything, feeling that just covering my bases was enough to keep a boater from leaving the lifestyle due to bad experiences....

I am over 50 hours in...and still not done...and can't get the drive on. The motor is absolutely in perfect position. The drive will not mate all of the way into the coupler. I have tried and tried and tried again, but I can not get the tailstock more than 1" into the coupler...and I need about another 1.5 for the drive to seat fully against the bell housing.

What am I missing? It has to be something that makes me look dumb for missing, but if I can get this over with, I will wear that badge with pride....
Old 11-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You didn't mention using an alignment tool so how do you know the motors lined up?

If you did use an alignment tool and it slid in and out very easily, is the drive getting hung up on the shift foot or splines not meshing? With shifter in forward and a prop on the drive you may have to turn the prop to get the splines to mesh. Sorry if you already know all this, just throwing out some ideas.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Is the coupler packed full of grease? I have had that happen before. Randy
Old 11-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I used an alignment tool when I initially tightened the motor. It slid in and out without hesitation, even when I rotated it and stuck it back in.

Different than the alpha 1 first gen, it uses the inside crimp for the drive bellow instead of a worm clamp on the outside. I have removed and reinspected to make sure the ujoints are not binding...

I put lipstick on the drive coupler and looked at the transfer onto the splines....about an inch....

I have removed all three orings on the tail shaft...no help

I took out the big oring that seals against the crimp seal....no help...

All installed again, no difference...

I have applied and reapplied grease to each side of the mating surfaces....and then.....I put some more....

I can put a breaker bar on the crank, spin it, and the prop turns.

With the remaining gap, the shift slide still has play in the drive opening....meaning I can move it a little with my finger tips....not binding.

It is almost like the coupler is tapered and won't let the tail in any more....
Old 11-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So this is the original drive that was on the boat, right? Something I heard one time which I can't confirm to be deffinately true is that you shouldn't use grease on the o-rings on the shaft because excess grease between the o-rings and grooves won't compress which makes it hard to get on. You should use oil on the o-rings. I know you don't want to hear it but if it were me I would lift the engine back up and turn it 90 degrees and remove the coupler. Then slide it on the drive to see just what's going on. I assume you have the drive in forward and also the shifter at the helm.

Last edited by picklenjim; 11-18-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Yassir....

Lever at commander fore, shift leg on drive centered....

My plan in the evening tomorrow was to hoist out and try exactly that suggestion with much prejudice.....

A lawyer of many moons ago told me that no good deed goes unpunished.....

Hopefully, I have better luck with iculookin mike and his panel....otherwise...I am going away for an attitude adjustment
Old 11-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

May need to just do the "merc kick" using the size 9 calabrated installation tool as explained here starting at 2:30 in the vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGVrY4cWiDA
Old 11-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by picklenjim
May need to just do the "merc kick" using the size 9 calabrated installation tool as explained here starting at 2:30 in the vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGVrY4cWiDA
Did you catch the part # by chance? I seemed to mis it
Old 11-19-2012, 12:57 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Most likely it is hung up on the gimbal bearing.
Once you get it on how are you going to handle the shift interupt?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I've had this happen before, measure the engagement of the alignment tool again. I think your going to find it only goes in an inch or so. Realign engine making sure the tool goes all the way in, then reinstall the drive. Again I had the exact same problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.