Upgrading drives from trs to? >

Upgrading drives from trs to?

Notices

Upgrading drives from trs to?

Old 12-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading drives from trs to?

I've been doing a bit of research and I am thinking I may want to try some arneson drives on my 86 scarab panther. It's currently setup with 454 mags and trs with velvet 1:1 trans.

I don't plan on doing anything this upcoming year, since im buying some property, but soon I will be wanting more power. I have gen 5 bowtie blocks, so I figure I will EITHER bore it to 496, or possibly turbocharge them with some stand alones and custom intakes.

Would the kaama or arneson drive be a good option for me? I want super reliability with the ability to pour some throttle on if I want and not have to worry about breaking ****. Probably a dream for every boater lol.

Anyhow, I'd like some feedback on the arnesons. I should be able to pickup some speed over the trs with them since the lower drag, plus I already have some trans to suit them, but what else should I be looking at, and what kind of price range?

Last edited by airbats801; 12-12-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:40 AM
Registered

I'm looking to do the same exact transition for a 38' Scorpion project...(based on 38' Scarab hull). Already pulled the engines out. The old TRS drives basically just help me climb in and out the boat now...they've got to go!

I am also wanting to find out more about Arneson drives, and especially hear from owners that have been running them.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Registered

konrads 540
Old 12-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts

also thought about konrads... on the other hand, never broke a trs! but 3 transmission! so if you ask me, I'd rather go bravo to eliminate the trannie!

upgrading Hp need ... yeah! arnesons! but they must be expensive! maybe just like konrads?

ahhh... can't decide!!!!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Food for thought....buddy ran a 30FT scarab. Twin 725HP 540's. TRS. 92MPH. Never hurt the TRS.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by airbats801
I've been doing a bit of research and I am thinking I may want to try some arneson drives on my 86 scarab panther. It's currently setup with 454 mags and trs with velvet 1:1 trans.

I don't plan on doing anything this upcoming year, since im buying some property, but soon I will be wanting more power. I have gen 5 bowtie blocks, so I figure I will EITHER bore it to 496, or possibly turbocharge them with some stand alones and custom intakes.

Would the kaama or arneson drive be a good option for me? I want super reliability with the ability to pour some throttle on if I want and not have to worry about breaking ****. Probably a dream for every boater lol.

Anyhow, I'd like some feedback on the arnesons. I should be able to pickup some speed over the trs with them since the lower drag, plus I already have some trans to suit them, but what else should I be looking at, and what kind of price range?
Arnesons will work great on your boat. The power will not be a problem and the boat will pick up a lot of speed over the options out there.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Food for thought....buddy ran a 30FT scarab. Twin 725HP 540's. TRS. 92MPH. Never hurt the TRS.
What props are being used for that set up?

I have nearly the same. My 540's make 650 HP and get the boat up to 84 on GPS. I need more bow lift. When running over 70ish when its calm, the boat wants to bow steer. I'm running the 28 pitch Bravo 1 4-blades, the blades have been thinned out a bit to reach max 5600 RPM.

And YES i agree the TRS drives are Indestructible. I have 350 hours on this set up and have never even changed the oil in the drive. That drive is a true work-horse, needs very low maintenance, ..the down side is it's very inefficient.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Registered

A word from a nobody
We went from racing ether old trs on the race boat for many years with no drive failures ever to bravos. We lost about 4mph could bee the new x demension but i miss my trs. Try a set of hydromotive nose cones first. the swap to bravos isn't all its cracked up to be.

Mike o
531 WHOZ YOUR DADDY
Old 01-10-2013, 07:41 AM
Registered

i have bought a set of konrads to replace my TRS drives .i broke 2 TRS drives last year , on my boat i bought this last summer . i looked alot at different drives to replace my drives and found for the price and trouble konrads are the best choice . i have read threads about broken konrads also BUT i hope they work in my boat . my boat was only making 500 hp , now with new motors should dyno 750-800 hp .
Old 01-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kennyd
i have bought a set of konrads to replace my TRS drives .i broke 2 TRS drives last year , on my boat i bought this last summer . i looked alot at different drives to replace my drives and found for the price and trouble konrads are the best choice . i have read threads about broken konrads also BUT i hope they work in my boat . my boat was only making 500 hp , now with new motors should dyno 750-800 hp .
everything can be broken . im with you. exact same boat with konrads ,new power 760 ft pounds of tourque ,750 hs . imm scared

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.