Drives go up w/ trailer switch only >

Drives go up w/ trailer switch only

Notices

Drives go up w/ trailer switch only

Old 12-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drives go up w/ trailer switch only

Need help trying to figure this out, both drives won't go up with trim switches, they go down ok.
In order to bring them up I need to use the trailer switch.
After reading some threads it seems that it could be the trim limit senders, but both go bad at the same time? Don't think so,correct?
Could this be a loose wire somewhere? I put some CRC in all trim pump connections today to see if it helps but no luck.
Where should I look for the problem? hope someone can help!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

same pumps and wires at the pumps, so if they work at all there ok, not sure if jay replaced the trim senders, but i think he did. the limit switches open the circuit at a certain point, best way to rule them out is jump the wires on the boat side that would normally go to the trim limit switches.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You know you have power going to your switches, Red/Purple wire. You also know power is making it back from the switches to operate the trim down, Green/White wire. The Purple/White wire coming back from the helm operates trim up so should be hot when the switch is activated. From connector 14 it passes through the Trim Limit Switch and continue on to the Trim Pump through the Blue/White wire. The Blue/White wire coming back from the helm is hot when the Trailer Switch is activated and bypasses the Limit Switch in connector 15 in diagram and continues on to the Trim Pump through the Blue/White wire. To test the Limit Switch like lil red was talking about you need to jump a small piece of wire between connectors 14 and 15 and operate the trim up switch. If it works then the problem is in the Limit Switch. If it doesn't then you will need to trace the Purple/White wire back to the trim switches and figure out why it's not energizing when the switch is activated.

Disregard the trim control switches in the diagram as I'm sure yours is different. What do you have a trim switch for each side but one common trailer switch? What year? You may have the dual control componet box which could have a problem in it. Nine out of ten times when this problem comes up it is the Limit Switch but as you stated it would be unusual for both to stop working at the same time. If after testing you confirm that it is the switch you can usually take them apart and clean up the contacts inside. Their a very simple ON-OFF switch. I know this isn't a diagram of your exact system but hopefully it will give you an idea of what's going on.
Attached Thumbnails Drives go up w/ trailer switch only-duel-solenoid-3-button.jpg  
Old 12-31-2012, 12:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by lil red
same pumps and wires at the pumps, so if they work at all there ok, not sure if jay replaced the trim senders, but i think he did. the limit switches open the circuit at a certain point, best way to rule them out is jump the wires on the boat side that would normally go to the trim limit switches.
James,

I appreciate your help, don't feel like bother you every time I have a concern or issue eventhough I know you know this boat better than anyone,thanks.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
You know you have power going to your switches, Red/Purple wire. You also know power is making it back from the switches to operate the trim down, Green/White wire. The Purple/White wire coming back from the helm operates trim up so should be hot when the switch is activated. From connector 14 it passes through the Trim Limit Switch and continue on to the Trim Pump through the Blue/White wire. The Blue/White wire coming back from the helm is hot when the Trailer Switch is activated and bypasses the Limit Switch in connector 15 in diagram and continues on to the Trim Pump through the Blue/White wire. To test the Limit Switch like lil red was talking about you need to jump a small piece of wire between connectors 14 and 15 and operate the trim up switch. If it works then the problem is in the Limit Switch. If it doesn't then you will need to trace the Purple/White wire back to the trim switches and figure out why it's not energizing when the switch is activated.

Disregard the trim control switches in the diagram as I'm sure yours is different. What do you have a trim switch for each side but one common trailer switch? What year? You may have the dual control componet box which could have a problem in it. Nine out of ten times when this problem comes up it is the Limit Switch but as you stated it would be unusual for both to stop working at the same time. If after testing you confirm that it is the switch you can usually take them apart and clean up the contacts inside. Their a very simple ON-OFF switch. I know this isn't a diagram of your exact system but hopefully it will give you an idea of what's going on.
The diagram makes everything easier for me to understand ,I will print it up and will bring it to the boat to see if I can figure this out.

Thank you as well, will post outcome ASAP.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:38 AM
Registered

Don't rule out both limit switches, seen it before. Do test it following those instructions and diagram. Very well written and right on! And thank you for having consideration lol. More people need to be like you!
Old 12-31-2012, 10:16 AM
Registered

The purpose of the limit switch is to stop the trim before the (side rub surfaces) come clear from the curved supports on the sides, they are designed to stop a side smack of the units to break them off.
When you trim it higher by bypassing the trim with the trailer switch you say I know its too high but I will be carefull.
With this said the bulk of units do not run or drive at this higher level. When you drive forward and over trim, the boat will stop when the props break away from the water (blowout) and you cannot have a side hit because you stop.
Driveing at idle speed in a docking area you will not push the boat forward when your units are above the side guides. If these things are true, then the limit is not necessary.
If however your boat operates too high the limit switch must be adjusted to stop trim within the side supports.
If the trim switch quits, but the trailer switch works, either the limit switch is open or the jumper wires that go to the switch is broken or unpluged.
The harness loops from the two small female pin sockets about two feet from the power plug into the trim pump. It takes trim power and goes through the wire through the transom into the switch then back to the other female plug. Any break stops the trim.
For a test, if you jump from one female plug to the other, the trim will work to the top like the trailer switch does.
The old rule that both cannot break at the same time is no longer taught in marine service schools.
Good luck Buddy
Old 12-31-2012, 08:37 PM
Registered

How do I change the trim limit switches? Do I have to take the drives out? Hopefully it is a wire disconnected? Haven't checked it yet but I will in a week when I come back from vacation.

Happy new year !!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Diego9040
Do I have to take the drives out?
Happy new year !!!!
No. What drives do you have? Bravo's.....TRS's ???
Old 01-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Registered

Yes he has bravos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.