Notices

Trim pump leaking

Old 02-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Trim pump leaking

I have had an issue with my drive drifting in slowly while under power and also while sitting at rest. I tested the cylinders individually and they each support the drive without drifting down so I assume something is leaking back on the trim pump (00 Bravo). Is there a check valve or seals that need to be replaced or do I need to replace the whole pump?
Old 02-01-2013, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can replace just the valve body on the pump but you can't get just the individual parts for the valve body.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If youi remove the oil tank and sit the pump complete on a baking pan for spilling the check is easy.
The pump has several tubes hanging from the pump, one has the end with a screen, this is the input.
if you shorten a beer can so the input tube hits into the can and put oil in the can, you can run the pump up and down. There are two other tubes hanging outside the can in space. If you run the unit up or down and oil comes out of these tubes instead of the drive moving, the relief valve for that direction is leaking, If oil leaks from these tubes the unit does not move. This leak can also drop the drive to the bottom. These valves are available from merc or you can clean them. The position on the tube is critical because if you lower the nut and allow to screw the tube further the pressure goes higher. If you just loosen the nut so you can remove the tube by unscrewing it out of the hole use the unchanged nut to relocate the tube position.
When the tube comes out a spring and ball comes out. If you clean the spring, the ball, and the seat where the ball hits, then replace the tube and retry the pump. if the tubes still leak, reclean or buy a new valve tube. If the leak stops the pump will work and drive will move. Congrats! Caution! If the ram goes faster then it used to, you have relocated the nut tighter and have a dealer check up and down pump pressure.

If this scares you, after the leak shows up take the pump to a dealer and ask them to change the valves. This will save money because the dealer does less work, And you will feel beter.
good luck. Buddy.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Amarket Owner
If youi remove the oil tank and sit the pump complete on a baking pan for spilling the check is easy.
The pump has several tubes hanging from the pump, one has the end with a screen, this is the input.
if you shorten a beer can so the input tube hits into the can and put oil in the can, you can run the pump up and down. There are two other tubes hanging outside the can in space. If you run the unit up or down and oil comes out of these tubes instead of the drive moving, the relief valve for that direction is leaking, If oil leaks from these tubes the unit does not move. This leak can also drop the drive to the bottom. These valves are available from merc or you can clean them. The position on the tube is critical because if you lower the nut and allow to screw the tube further the pressure goes higher. If you just loosen the nut so you can remove the tube by unscrewing it out of the hole use the unchanged nut to relocate the tube position.
When the tube comes out a spring and ball comes out. If you clean the spring, the ball, and the seat where the ball hits, then replace the tube and retry the pump. if the tubes still leak, reclean or buy a new valve tube. If the leak stops the pump will work and drive will move. Congrats! Caution! If the ram goes faster then it used to, you have relocated the nut tighter and have a dealer check up and down pump pressure.

If this scares you, after the leak shows up take the pump to a dealer and ask them to change the valves. This will save money because the dealer does less work, And you will feel beter.
good luck. Buddy.
Thanks I will give it a try when I get the boat out of storage.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Registered

ttt
Old 06-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Registered

I was able to fix the leaking pump it turns out one of the valves had a ball that was pitted. Thank you Aftermarket