Notices

surface drive

Old 02-08-2013, 01:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default surface drive

Hello;

Please explain me this:

- Arneson it is surface drive with "straight" shaft anf good mechanics eficiency.
- Imco, Ilmor, Mercruiser surface drives have two 90 degree transmisions and probably at least 6%, better 10% more mechanichs losses than Arneson type surface drive. They have mostly higher price than classic surface drives too.

Why so much peopeles use this Z surface drives, even on very fast racing boats although it seems that they are not so efficiency?
Where are benefits of this drive in compare with classic surface drives.

Thank you for answers!
Old 02-08-2013, 06:08 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I think stern drive design is what the industry has considered the standard. They know how to engineer their hulls so that they work well with them. Not a lot of production boat manufacturers have built straight shaft drives. There is a percieved danger to the owners with swimmers and myths about poor docking habits. Engines need to be mounted lower in the boat which is an advantage with giving a low center of gravity, but most hulls(stringer systems, etc) are not designed for it. I think it is the most efficient and reliable design and could be the least expensive to build with a comparable economy of scale. Really if you want to optimize set up of a straight shaft design to the max, the boat would need to be designed for it in the beginning.
I think the answer to your question about why is because "stern drives" are what we know!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
I think stern drive design is what the industry has considered the standard. They know how to engineer their hulls so that they work well with them. Not a lot of production boat manufacturers have built straight shaft drives. There is a percieved danger to the owners with swimmers and myths about poor docking habits. Engines need to be mounted lower in the boat which is an advantage with giving a low center of gravity, but most hulls(stringer systems, etc) are not designed for it. I think it is the most efficient and reliable design and could be the least expensive to build with a comparable economy of scale. Really if you want to optimize set up of a straight shaft design to the max, the boat would need to be designed for it in the beginning.
I think the answer to your question about why is because "stern drives" are what we know!
The part where you state "the boat would need to be designed for it in the beginning" is the only gray area.

The boats designed today, as well as the setups of the boats today fall perfectly into the realm of the Arnesons. The engines being 1-2" (Bravo) lower are not an issue at all for boats, actually better as it reduces the need for taller scoops on the hatches.

Older boats (Bravo again) benefit with the newer design (#7M) as the engines do not have to be moved forward as in the past which detrimentally affected the LCG of the boat. With the #7M, all that weight stay's aft in the boat and with Mercury and Hering now making a real surface drive propeller, the older boats run better now than what we could have offered in the past.

Why a "Z" drive? Simple. People (sorry this is true for boaters especially) monkey see monkey do! Just look at the attempts certain companies have made that didn't work but people had faith in them b/c they look like an I/O/Z-Drive.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:57 AM
Registered

Uf!
So simply and so incredible reasons? It look like simple, but ekspencive joke.
I am really expect at least one good technician reason.

Last edited by sinus; 02-09-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:16 AM
Registered

I have a 98 32 Fountain with some big smoke under the hatch. I am curious as to if anybody put arnesons on a 32 Fountain. Curious as to if the added waight would cause the rear to sit way to low as it already looks like its sinking in the water.I understand i would have to move engines foward and take out rear seat to install transmissions. Never seen a 32 with arnesons, just curious if has been done before.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BLUEMAGIC
I have a 98 32 Fountain with some big smoke under the hatch. I am curious as to if anybody put arnesons on a 32 Fountain. Curious as to if the added waight would cause the rear to sit way to low as it already looks like its sinking in the water.I understand i would have to move engines foward and take out rear seat to install transmissions. Never seen a 32 with arnesons, just curious if has been done before.
No transmissions go inside boat with asd 6 Arnesons it all fits in the extention housing on the transom.

Last edited by paul buckner; 02-09-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 260 Likes on 92 Posts

Why do people drink a certain energy drink brand?? They don't work, its not healthy, but people buy the crap! (marketing)

Why did everyone switch over to facebook instead of myspace?? When they all complained about FB and liked Myspace better.

Why do people follow each other in a single door at a shopping mall when there are a dozen doors side by side to enter?

People follow like sheep. Its fun to watch when you start paying attention to it.

ALSO, Mercury is the largest, and they package their drives with engines.

Yes I feel the Arneson is better. Some do have "drop" in the drive. Its not just a straight shaft.

Like SkiDoc explained, there is a lot of misinformation and rumors floating around that are just not true.

Reminds me of "the war of currents" when Edison had a campaign to discourage the use of Tesla's A/C current spreading lies, publicly killing animals, etc. Pretty funny what people will do for money.

Looks like history is already repeating itself, Surface drives are now becoming more popular every day, and soon every boat might have a "arneson style" surface drive!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Registered

I would love a couple of asd6 ,just dont have that sort of cash.Rick what about a couple freebees for the plug
Old 02-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Registered

Default Official Voice of Arneson

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Yes I feel the Arneson is better. Some do have "drop" in the drive. Its not just a straight shaft.

Like SkiDoc explained, there is a lot of misinformation and rumors floating around that are just not true.

Reminds me of "the war of currents" when Edison had a campaign to discourage the use of Tesla's A/C current spreading lies, publicly killing animals, etc. Pretty funny what people will do for money.

Looks like history is already repeating itself, Surface drives are now becoming more popular every day, and soon every boat might have a "arneson style" surface drive!
I say this out of humor. Kevin you should be on Riks payroll as the official voice of Arneson. Kind of like Mike Rowe is for Ford. I can see the TV and Radio commecials now!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

I think most would agree that the Arnesons are a better drive system, and if priced correctly they would be hangin from the back end of many more boats! Like all marine industry parts "viewed as luxury Items" they are priced out of the average hot rod boaters range, we all know that is the truth and Arneson is not any different. Would I have Arnesons? sure, would I have #6s? sure, can I afford either? no, I'm I upset that I can't? no just gratefull I can get out on the water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.