Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Rebuilding the transom, should I raise the x dimension of my 86 panther? >

Rebuilding the transom, should I raise the x dimension of my 86 panther?

Notices

Rebuilding the transom, should I raise the x dimension of my 86 panther?

Old 02-24-2013, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding the transom, should I raise the x dimension of my 86 panther?

So, I am having my transom redone here in the next few months for peace of mind, and another 27 years of not worrying about it.

I;ve been told raising it 2inches with bravos made a big difference. Now I am running trs drives currently and I am sure bravo run shorter than trs.

I'm wondering if I should raise the engine and what not 2 inches.

I was thinking about going to konrad 540s eventually, which are already 1.7 shorter, but I know they have shorter drives as well. I'm wondering, if I raise the engines 2inches then end up going to konrads down the road, will I be getting into trouble since the konrads are already shorter, or would I still see more benefit from the the extra 1.7" im gaining when and if I do eventually convert to konrads?
Old 02-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

The majority of Konrad/TRS conversions I've been involved with have benefitted greatly from the increase (1.7") in propshaft height as most TRS installations were rather deep, given propeller selection of the day.

What I've also learned is the old straight bottom hulls need a fair amount of trim to reduce wetted surface. I've yet to find a TRS application that responed positively to the Konrad shorty. If you are pondering a Konrad conversion, keep your X dimention where it is, otherwise you might need to run spacers.

Kurt
Old 02-24-2013, 12:04 PM
Registered

I already have upgraded kplanes on the boat, I'm betting that would help a bit.

Another question I have is cone selection. I am assuming a konrad has a much better cone than a trs? Anything aftermarket for a trs if I chose to stick with them?

Also, how much shorter is a bravo drive compared to a trs. I figure if a member used a 2inch raise on a bravo drive which is already out of the water more than a trs, I may be ok lifting the engines.,

my source comes from blue thunder who was running a panther at 94mph in 3' chop. Said he upded the x dimsension 2" and changed the nose cone, along with some hp engines.

Last edited by airbats801; 02-24-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by airbats801
I already have upgraded kplanes on the boat, I'm betting that would help a bit.

Another question I have is cone selection. I am assuming a konrad has a much better cone than a trs? Anything aftermarket for a trs if I chose to stick with them?

Also, how much shorter is a bravo drive compared to a trs. I figure if a member used a 2inch raise on a bravo drive which is already out of the water more than a trs, I may be ok lifting the engines.,

my source comes from blue thunder who was running a panther at 94mph in 3' chop. Said he upded the x dimsension 2" and changed the nose cone, along with some hp engines.
The Bravo is about 2.25" shorter than the TRS. I've owned many TRS boats over the years and found unless you are running over 80, no need for one. It could actually slow you down. The standard Konrad lower works much better than the TRS, the HP (nosecone) lower will benefit running over 80.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:12 AM
Registered

I talked with blue again. he said he raised his drives 2".ended up coming out to 4.5"

So assuming the bravos are aboit 2" shorter than my drives already, raising my trs 2" up the transom will put my drives aboutwhere a normal set of bravos would be. i'm thinkin when I upgrade to konrads, I should ne right in the ballpark of 4.5

I'll have to measure when I get home, but is my thinking correct?