Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Crunch Time For Painting Drives... >

Crunch Time For Painting Drives...

Notices

Crunch Time For Painting Drives...

Old 03-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told by my local Mercruiser rebuilder NOT to use a zinc primer. The top coat does not stay on very well.

Jeff
Old 03-27-2013, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s022mag
Believe it or not I was actually going to go the quick route and use mercruisers spray can phantom black until I read some chitty reviews. So I'm going to go with either imron or ppg. I did however already order zinc chromate etching primer in a aresol can, is that ok?
Doesn't work worth a fuk. Use the 2 part etch or better yet use the 2 part epoxy. Make sure to get aluminum prep/cleaner. Regular wax and grease remover won't do anything. Also do not touch the bare surface with your hands.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Doesn't work worth a fuk. Use the 2 part etch or better yet use the 2 part epoxy. Make sure to get aluminum prep/cleaner. Regular wax and grease remover won't do anything. Also do not touch the bare surface with your hands.
Crap, I already have the wax and degreaser remover, this sucks. I found a Dupont dealer here in town, they carry the Dupont Imron Elite paint will this stuff work, and I assume they'll have the primer too??
Old 03-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Registered

2509S epoxy. And industrial Imron, not sure on #. It's not crazy expensive but if you get lucky they will sell you pouroffs from their mixing bank. Might need a qt or two. Wet on wet. 2 med coats epoxy wait 30 min then 3 coats Imron.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Registered

The Dupont store here in town will sell me Imron Elite for about 50-75 bucks a qt depending on color and about 50 more for the activator, and the the 2 part etch will run me about 110 bucks. The Imron Industrial only comes in gallons and doesn't come in silver, I was thinking of doing black and silver on the drives.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:52 PM
Registered

Pretty rare a jobber has Imron to pour off the bank. The Elite will work fine and the 2590S they should be able to do a pour off. You won't need much for two drives.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Pretty rare a jobber has Imron to pour off the bank. The Elite will work fine and the 2590S they should be able to do a pour off. You won't need much for two drives.
Crap load of paint going to go to waste with 320z in a qt. I'm going to check some shops but prob won't have much luck here in C-bus, OH. Anyone need some primer and paint
Old 03-30-2013, 07:05 PM
Registered

Thought I'd show some pics of my progress. Hope to have them completely sanded by monday and then hope for some warmer weather to paint. I have a big kerosine heater but it burns thru it pretty fast.
Attached Thumbnails Crunch Time For Painting Drives...-photo-1.jpg   Crunch Time For Painting Drives...-photo-2.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 07:26 PM
Registered

Got the drives primed and painted over the weekend. They look pretty good for the first time sanding and painting with a gravity fed canister. I ended up using 2 part etching primer and Imron elite for the paint. Went with the 2 tone look of black over grey. It's actually call silver effect. Just got to get them mounted (hopefully without messing the paint job up. Gonna use the rattle can for my taps and any touch ups on the bell housing. Can't wait to get the boat in the water.
Attached Thumbnails Crunch Time For Painting Drives...-photo-1.jpg   Crunch Time For Painting Drives...-photo-2.jpg   Crunch Time For Painting Drives...-photo-3.jpg  

Crunch Time For Painting Drives...-photo-4.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 08:02 PM
Registered

Cool!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.