Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Price for a new gimble ring >

Price for a new gimble ring

Notices

Price for a new gimble ring

Old 04-14-2013, 05:56 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There shouldn't be any play between the steering arm and the gimbal ring. Moving the drive back and forth there will be a small amount of movement in the steering actuator .
Old 04-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced my upper swivel pin. Water was leaking in past the seal constantly and the gimbal ring had about an 1/8 inch of up and down travel. I too did not want to drill holes so I went to a friends place after removing everything from the engine and removing the drive. We pulled the motor out and I found that the steering arm nut had come loose as well as the bolt and locknut that keeps the steering arm tight on the upper swivel pin. I tightened them both and checked for the required .002- .010 clearance measured at the bottom pin. After tightening everything up the gimbal ring was still loose and could be moved around a bit. I thought I would need a new gimbal ring but after removing it and the upper swivel pin,it seemed that just the pin was worn out. I ordered a new upper pin (retailed for 400.00) and all new bushings and seals.
I test fit the new pin in the gimbal ring to see if the ring was worn, I only had to barely tighten the u-bolt to see that it was clamping nicely,I also test fit the steering arm to the new pin and tightened the clamp nut/bolt and the steering arm seemed fine as well. I put it all back together and everthing is tight and no play whatsoever. What I am trying to say is you may not need a new gimbal ring, try a new swivel pin and test fit to your gimbal ring. If it feels snug with minimal tightening of the u-bolt clamp it is probably fine. re-use and tighten to 53 ft pnds. Downlode the mercruiser sterndrive manual. It really helps to explain how it all comes apart. This was my first time doing this and it dident seem overly complex.
Good luck.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by waterman
That looks good. Are there holes that have to be drilled on the sides?
No holes in the sides. Only in the face. I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel and it worked great.

Took it out today and no issues.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by V.I. Outlaw
I just replaced my upper swivel pin. Water was leaking in past the seal constantly and the gimbal ring had about an 1/8 inch of up and down travel. I too did not want to drill holes so I went to a friends place after removing everything from the engine and removing the drive. We pulled the motor out and I found that the steering arm nut had come loose as well as the bolt and locknut that keeps the steering arm tight on the upper swivel pin. I tightened them both and checked for the required .002- .010 clearance measured at the bottom pin. After tightening everything up the gimbal ring was still loose and could be moved around a bit. I thought I would need a new gimbal ring but after removing it and the upper swivel pin,it seemed that just the pin was worn out. I ordered a new upper pin (retailed for 400.00) and all new bushings and seals.
I test fit the new pin in the gimbal ring to see if the ring was worn, I only had to barely tighten the u-bolt to see that it was clamping nicely,I also test fit the steering arm to the new pin and tightened the clamp nut/bolt and the steering arm seemed fine as well. I put it all back together and everthing is tight and no play whatsoever. What I am trying to say is you may not need a new gimbal ring, try a new swivel pin and test fit to your gimbal ring. If it feels snug with minimal tightening of the u-bolt clamp it is probably fine. re-use and tighten to 53 ft pnds. Downlode the mercruiser sterndrive manual. It really helps to explain how it all comes apart. This was my first time doing this and it dident seem overly complex.
Good luck.
I think what happened to you is you got one of the few that was an issue at the arm to shaft joint as opposed to shaft to ring .The shaft is far harder material than ring .If the ring starts to get loose on the shaft ,the ring wears faster than shaft .Same with arm.Your ring probably would have tightened to old shaft also .Your problem was probably the arm .my opinion
Old 04-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by motor
I think what happened to you is you got one of the few that was an issue at the arm to shaft joint as opposed to shaft to ring .The shaft is far harder material than ring .If the ring starts to get loose on the shaft ,the ring wears faster than shaft .Same with arm.Your ring probably would have tightened to old shaft also .Your problem was probably the arm .my opinion
are you in chicago or the suburbs...their should not be any play at all..thise rear bolts do loosen up and i do retorqur them every year on my customers boats,,,my buddy has over 1200 hours on his and their is no play at all..im also with motor,,i like to pull the engine and pull the gimbal apart and trplace ecerything that moves and seals on the gimbal ring..you may be better off buying the housing in the long run.http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-MerC...2869c2&vxp=mtr
Old 04-14-2013, 10:43 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

I will definitely get the manual so I understand what everyone is talking about. With the outdrive fully down I can move it maybe a 1/2 inch.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:00 PM
Registered

Default fixx

[QUOTE=waterman;3905805]I will definitely get the manual so I understand what everyone is talking about. With the outdrive fully down I can move it maybe a 1/2 inch.[/QUOTE

also check the inside,,i have seen the cable come loose and it can also cause play in the drive and not the ring..

are you close to lombard area?
Old 04-14-2013, 11:05 PM
Registered

I'm in Schaumburg.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by waterman
I'm in Schaumburg.
your only about 15 min from me,,my cuz lives in those new town homes around the corner from lou malintis.. do you take your boat to powerbroker?
Old 04-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FIXX
your only about 15 min from me,,my cuz lives in those new town homes around the corner from lou malintis.. do you take your boat to powerbroker?
Sorry, I don't know who that is. I have very happy with grand sport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.