Advice for new outdrives - 35 Outlaw >

Advice for new outdrives - 35 Outlaw

Notices

Advice for new outdrives - 35 Outlaw

Old 04-14-2013, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice for new outdrives - 35 Outlaw

I have a 2006 35 Outlaw, which I've had since new. HOs w/ CMI headers, Bravo 1 X drives w/ 1.65:1 gear ratio. Sometimes 32p standard props, sometimes 34p labbed props. Runs between 76-77 normally, and with the 34p props on, around 78-79mph. Just over 400 hours total. About 150 hours ago, I blew the upper on the port side. Starboard side was fine. So, I had the port side rebuilt. 150 hours later, the upper on the port side blew again, but this time siezed up and caused the drive shaft to split in the coupler. So, I ended up having to pull the motor to get the shaft out. Starboard side was running fine, but popped it open anyway, and found a bunch of broken/missing teeth on the upper.

So, basically I've gone thru 3 Bravo X uppers. Since I'm doing both this time, looking for advice. The port side is demolished, including the case. So I won't be rebuilding it. The starboard side is rebuildable. But, with my diving habits, and the large pitch props, should I rebuild it and buy one new for the port side? I'm thinking I'll get another 100-150 hours and blow again. So, looking to upgrade. Possibly a set of new IMCOs. Any opinions? Anybody else with a similar setup?

Thanks,
Ed
Old 04-14-2013, 11:04 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Why dont you get in touch with the Bravo shop and have a set built. 150 hours is probably average if you are always beating on it... I get a lot less.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:08 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by OutlawEd
I have a 2006 35 Outlaw, which I've had since new. HOs w/ CMI headers, Bravo 1 X drives w/ 1.65:1 gear ratio. Sometimes 32p standard props, sometimes 34p labbed props. Runs between 76-77 normally, and with the 34p props on, around 78-79mph. Just over 400 hours total. About 150 hours ago, I blew the upper on the port side. Starboard side was fine. So, I had the port side rebuilt. 150 hours later, the upper on the port side blew again, but this time siezed up and caused the drive shaft to split in the coupler. So, I ended up having to pull the motor to get the shaft out. Starboard side was running fine, but popped it open anyway, and found a bunch of broken/missing teeth on the upper.

So, basically I've gone thru 3 Bravo X uppers. Since I'm doing both this time, looking for advice. The port side is demolished, including the case. So I won't be rebuilding it. The starboard side is rebuildable. But, with my diving habits, and the large pitch props, should I rebuild it and buy one new for the port side? I'm thinking I'll get another 100-150 hours and blow again. So, looking to upgrade. Possibly a set of new IMCOs. Any opinions? Anybody else with a similar setup?

Thanks,
Ed
having 1.65 ratio gears make them the weak link..if it were mine i would go with 1.50 ratio uppers and drop down on ptop size..you might gain some mph and from what mph your seeing i bet your slipping the props like crazy..the port side is blowing more often because the drive is spinning the other direction and that puts alot od stress on the top cap...you may want to look into a better top cap when you upgrade your uppers..also rotating the drives will help the longevity of the drives,,in other words swap them left to right every season this way it eases the stress on the port drive..
Old 04-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Contact John at the Bravo shop. He can put together a bravo that will last longer than your current ones , or just get the Bmaxs he offers and be done with upper issues. Http://thebravoshop.com
Old 04-15-2013, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 260 Likes on 92 Posts

Imco SC

Imco SCX

B-Max

Arneson

X-Power

Mercury NXT

Konrad

Do you plan to increase the HP more?
Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 260 Likes on 92 Posts

Been thinking about your drive issues and I personally think the IMCO SCX is the best fit for you.

Your not having problems actually Breaking parts, you are just plain Wearing the gears out.

The SCX has larger, stronger UPPER and LOWER gears, plus about every other part in the drive is upgraded. The only downside is you might lose 1-2mph max, but at your speed I doubt you will even notice a difference. My guess is at your current HP the SCX could last over 750 hours, and should at least get 500 hours before needing a freshen.

The SC uses basically the same gears your drives have, which will wear out. Yes the drive is stronger and will not break as easy, but once the gears wear out and start flaking apart the metal going through the drive WILL break it.

The B-Max upper gears are great. The lower gears are basically the same as your drives. So again the lower gears will need to be rebuilt when they wear out.

Good luck, I hope you can make your boat reliable and enjoyable!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion

The B-Max upper gears are great. The lower gears are basically the same as your drives. So again the lower gears will need to be rebuilt when they wear out
The gears may be the same in the lower, buy the way they are set up by the bravo shop utilizing proper shimming,preload ,and eliminating the crush sleeve setup greatly increases the life of the gears. Also utilizing the bravo shop oil increases the life as well. Not exactly comparing apples to apples.

Give John a call at the bravo shop and he can go into more detail.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OutlawEd

Thanks,
Ed
It seems your are only having trouble with your uppers? We can fix that and you won't need to spend a bunch of cash on new drives.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still looking at my options.