Synchronizing drive trim >

Synchronizing drive trim

Notices

Synchronizing drive trim

Old 04-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Synchronizing drive trim

I am tieing my two Bravo I's together on the outside with a single Tie Bar...no inner. I don't want my drives/tie bar to ever get into a strain from individual trim of a single drive.

Is it possible to synchronize the pumps or lock the switches so both drives will stay in sync at all times? I know i can simply operate both switches in sync but I want to insure simultaneous operation.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

change both the pumps to one switch
Old 04-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sparky24
change both the pumps to one switch
Seems simple enough.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sprink58
Seems simple enough.
If the switches are rated for the amps you could just double up the leads on the terminals of one switch. If your unsure, just order a new switch rated for the amperage of both combined, plug the hole for the other switch or just leave it inoperative
Old 04-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only problem with running 1 switch for both pumps is that they will not spin the exact same rpm all the time so the drives will work their way out of sync each time they are operated. My Kachina has the trim switch on the throttle wired to both but retains individual switches on the dash to equalize the drives. JMO Randy
Old 04-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
The only problem with running 1 switch for both pumps is that they will not spin the exact same rpm all the time so the drives will work their way out of sync each time they are operated. My Kachina has the trim switch on the throttle wired to both but retains individual switches on the dash to equalize the drives. JMO Randy
That makes sense...I better think this thr thoroughly.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Registered

Randy is correct. Keep them seperate.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Many of the newer boats have 3 switches for the tabs and 3 switches for the drives. port/both/starboard That's the way we rig most of the ATs.

You will NEVER get them to both sync and move exactly identical. Pump age, line distances, oil viscosity, etc. etc. will all cause variable movement.

On my personal boat, I hardly ever use the tabs except for planing. I have a switch on my port throttle that controls both drives. I have a switch on my starboard throttle that controls ONLY the starboard drive. I never have to remove my hand from the throttles, as I put the drives where I want them with my thumb on the port throttle, and use my pinky on the starboard throttle switch to fine tune just the starboard drive to match the port--IF I want them to be at the same trim setting.

(Opinion: ) IF you are leveling your boat for cruising with the tabs, you are wasting gas.
Trim tabs create drag when you use them to level the boat. Try adjusting your drives. They do not have to be identical. If the port side of your bow is down while cruising, punch the starboard drive out about 1/2-1 tick on the indicators. This will adjust the thrust angle and bring the boat to level. It's not as easy to trim a boat this way, but it does teach you a lot more ways to drive the boat.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went a step farther since anything worth doing is worth over doing...had the shifters built with dual trims on port throttle (thumb) and dual tab switches on starboard throttle (index finger) and did away with dash switches altogether. Worked out great
Attached Thumbnails Synchronizing drive trim-photo.jpg  
Old 04-21-2013, 08:26 PM
Registered

Damn thats a pain in the azz i didnt think about that. I guess your just better off with drive indicators so you can readjust as needed