Gear Lube in Bilge >

Gear Lube in Bilge

Notices

Gear Lube in Bilge

Old 05-05-2013, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Lube in Bilge

Hi everyone, I have a Bravo XR Stern Drive and there is alot of gear lube oil leaking into the bilge pump area. I had the reservoir replaced a couple years ago and I can't find where the leak is coming from. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 05-05-2013, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible that drives are overheating from a long run? I had this happen once, blew it out the bottle. Installed showers never happened again.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Registered

When I checked the reservoir after a run, I didn't see gear lube all over the place. Just down in the beilge area. If it blew out the top it would be all over the engine compartment wouldn't?
Old 05-05-2013, 11:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Aaron J
When I checked the reservoir after a run, I didn't see gear lube all over the place. Just down in the beilge area. If it blew out the top it would be all over the engine compartment wouldn't?
Check the bottom of the reservoir, in my experience it leaks there...where the "alarm" sending wires go in........
Old 05-06-2013, 12:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Drive fluid leak

Originally Posted by FogduckerIII
Check the bottom of the reservoir, in my experience it leaks there...where the "alarm" sending wires go in........
+1 You might also check the plastic fitting at the transom, They have been known to crack. How long does it take to drain the reservoir bottle? Then there is always the input shaft seal on the lower unit. Randy
Old 05-06-2013, 07:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Aaron J
Hi everyone, I have a Bravo XR Stern Drive and there is alot of gear lube oil leaking into the bilge pump area. I had the reservoir replaced a couple years ago and I can't find where the leak is coming from. Any suggestions? Thanks
Your Pinion seal is bad.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by waconda
Your Pinion seal is bad.
X2. Im pretty sure if you pull the drive off, you will find a lot of your resivior oil in the transom. I'm still breaking-in my new drive after I ran into the same issue
Old 05-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyJerz
X2. Im pretty sure if you pull the drive off, you will find a lot of your resivior oil in the transom. I'm still breaking-in my new drive after I ran into the same issue
x3..

happened to me.. kept having to fill up reservoir to make it home and it was the yoke seal!! Pull drive and have reputable replace.. Precision Marine replaced mine for about $300 or so...

comes in thru the bellow.. make sure you clean out the bellow real good too before putting drive back on b/c the gear oil is not good for the rubber!
Old 05-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Registered

take the reservoir out of the holder and inspect the bottom of it, the fitting for the hose and alarm... then inspect hose all way to transom.....
Old 05-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

If there isn't evidence of a leak around the reservoir, as said above, its the pinion seal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.