Dumb question-greasing gimbal bearing >

Dumb question-greasing gimbal bearing

Notices

Dumb question-greasing gimbal bearing

Old 05-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb question-greasing gimbal bearing

I've just removed the old gimbal bearing in my Bravo one. Looking at the bearing I cant figure out how grease enters the bearing from the grease port in carrier. Maybe i'm just not looking at it right.

Also I want to clean out all the old grease and use the same grease consistently with the new bearing. I'd rather not use the Merc stuff just because it's not as easy to find. What do you guys use? Thanks
Old 05-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe all the new quicksilver/merc bearings are sealed, no grease hole to line up.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you first install the bearing, there is a gap in the sleeve that has to be lined up with the grease fitting, Onece the drive is installed, then run the engine at idle and with the drive in gear, pump grease through the fitting and it will allow the grease through everytime the gap lines up with the fitting.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:07 PM
Registered

Mr Maine, I'm using a Sierra 18-2100 gimbal bearing that is acutally greasable like the old merc bearing.

I knew about the grease port in the carrier but couldn't figure out how grease entered the actual bearing. Today I took the old bearing out of the carrier and cleaned it up and found two small holes on the outside of the bearing. The carrier has a small grove all around the inside that lines up with the two small holes on the outer part of the bearing. The grove feeds grease to those holes. I just didnt see those two holes the other day. Thanks guys
Old 05-26-2013, 05:39 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Mr Maine
I believe all the new quicksilver/merc bearings are sealed, no grease hole to line up.
Exactly. For some ridiculous reason, Merc has decided that greasing your new $100 gimbal bearing is no longer necessary.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Registered

Cheaper for them to make and you'll probably be replacing it more often without being able to grease it. Money in their pocket.