Shifting Issues in and out of gear >

Shifting Issues in and out of gear

Notices

Shifting Issues in and out of gear

Old 07-10-2013, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting Issues in and out of gear

I have a 03 Baja 302 with Bravo 1's and IMCO shorties on it. Had the boat out all weekend and started experiencing issues shifting in and out of gears around docks when using sticks to manuever. This happened both in AM when boat was cold and when boat was warm after running it. Seems intermittent but happened 2-3 times over the weekend. HAve it over to a buddies to investigate and guess down to 3 potential fixes/issues?

I am only having this issue with my port motor, starbird motor is fine. Shifter will slide but not engage and can tell it is not "locked in"...have to jiggle around or move sticks around then in and goes in gear. Did notice a few times before it was a bit lazy going in gear in the port motor. No grinding or slipping in gear from what i can tell or hear. Doesnt come out of gear on me either when on plane. Just seems to be an issue when working the sticks a lot around a dock. The boat has upgraded Livorsi throttes and tranmission sticks in it.

1) adjust shift cables....out of adjustment?
2) cables need replacement (they were changed 2 years ago and well under 100 hrs on them)
3) clutch cone needs replacing?
4) ???????

Can just a clutch cone be replaced or do you have to get a complete upper drive kit that includes clutch cone?

Any advice or direction would be great.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

If the cone clutch is worn the cups most likely are as well. Try adjusting the cable first but sounds like the clutch. Have you changed the fluid recently?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:51 AM
Registered

yes fluid is changed annually. right now has 18hrs on fluid...Amsoil Severe Duty 75/110
Old 07-10-2013, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

When using synthetic oil on clutches,it will cause the clutch to slip under heavy load and premature failure.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:54 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the centering on the shift cable to make sure it hasn't changed. Remove the barrel from the transition plate and wiggle it a bit. See if it goes back in the slot or if it needs alignment. Also check the bolt in the slot, if it has moved it won't be engaging as deep as it needs to be. Is this in just forward or reverse, if so, could be a centering issue.
If the drives are 03's they should have the newer style gears and just the cone can be replaced. Shifting them at higer rpms will damage the cone and possibly the surface in the gear. I have run synthetic lube for 15 yrs and not had any abnormal wear on the cone. I did shift it at higher rpm one time (docking issues) and it slipped going into gear after that. I had to replace my shift fork, it had been modified and was not bumping the cone deep enough into the gear to engage it properly. Had no issues after installing a new shift fork.
So alignment of the cable for centering and depth is cructial to proper operation.
Hope that helps
Dick
Old 07-11-2013, 07:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 30ftpanther
When using synthetic oil on clutches,it will cause the clutch to slip under heavy load and premature failure.
That is completely a wrong statement.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Registered

Mr Gadgets....thanks for your valued input. Appreciate it!

I believe it was only in forward and not in reverse. Happened so fast and was around docks/boats so was a bit nervous and dont recall everything that transpired. But definitely forward was an issue. I believe reverse was OK but not 100% there. Once i got out in open water shifted in gear and had no issues with slippage or popping out of gear.

Drives are 03's and i never raise rpms above idle when shifting. New to twins so i am a slow docker and idle speed with the sticks is my approach.

I recently purchased this boat and the previous owner always ran Amsoil 75/110 Severe Duty Gear Oil with no issues.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:26 AM
Registered

Here is an update. Intermediate shift cables are original and when adjusted there was a lot of brass shavings. We adjusted best we could and neeeded it for sure but ordered new intermediate shift cables and installing those next week. Still very hard to notice port motor is in gear when on muffs. Starbird motor you can definitely tell. Still think maybe cone clutch is weak and may just replace that as well and know everything is addressed. P/N 52-865344A01 and is around $350 ea cone clutch and 2-3 hours labor for each drive.

People are telling me to switch drives from side to side and now my reverse will be slow but forward will be good....ever hear of this?

I am going the route of new cables and new cone clutches to eliminate the problem for a long time.