Drive clunk when trimming down during takeoff >

Drive clunk when trimming down during takeoff

Notices

Drive clunk when trimming down during takeoff

Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drive clunk when trimming down during takeoff

I have a problem that I can't seem to wrap my head around. When I trim down while trying to get on plane I hear one "clunk". It almost sounds like it hit something in the water with the outdrive. This only happens when I'm taking off from a slow speed or stop and while trying to get on plane. Usually I forget I’m trimmed up or realize my load needs me to trim down more to get on plane in a decent amount of time. I have only done it a couple times and have just stopped trimming while getting on plane to avoid it. I have no issues trimming while at slow speeds or high speeds, just when the nose is in the air and I'm in the gas.

I replaced the gimbal bearing, u joints, bellows etc. this year. I pulled the drive off since then to double check everything and didn't see any issues. The splines looked clean with no signs of wear. Double checked alignment and was still dead on. I also pulled the prop and hub and found nothing unusual.

I also rebuild the rams this year. I'm wondering if they still have air in them or something got messed up there that would cause the rams to "jump/clunk" while under load....?

Any thought on what this could be or other things to check?

Thanks for the help
Dean