Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Trim Wanders Up Slowly (power off) O/W Normal!  WHY?? >

Trim Wanders Up Slowly (power off) O/W Normal! WHY??

Notices

Trim Wanders Up Slowly (power off) O/W Normal! WHY??

Old 07-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trim Wanders Up Slowly (power off) O/W Normal! WHY??

Ran into some sandy beach/bottom just barely, leading to minor skeg repair done.
Right after that happened still on water, the port outdrive started to wander UPWARD slowly...without running trim pumps...even under engine power pushing it forward/in.

SSM NXT6 outdrives, NXT1 transmissions, 2007 fountain 700sci's. (the steering is integrated into outdrive setup, I thought this was called ITS)
Boat out of water, Port outdrive starts sloowwly wandering upward against gravity! Trim otherwise acts fine, goes up and down, but when you stop using trim pump, starts its little slow wander up.
I see no fluid leaks and the trim pump reservoir is full.

I grab the outdrive, and it has a slight give, will rock up and down a 16th of an inch or so if that; while the starboard is rock solid, no give up/down.

Why would the trim wander UPWARD against gravity and even under high power, but otherwise act normally?
I will have to remove all power from the trim pump and see if it does it, like maybe the DOWN direction pump is turning a few rpm's even "not trimming" by the switches.

Last edited by xwing; 07-26-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

do you have nxt's, ssm6's, or its'?? either way theres air in the rams
Old 07-26-2013, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
i agree,the air is being compressed causing the drive to creep up.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Registered

Lil Red and Mike Tkach, thanks for answering!

That makes sense, air in line or cylinder would allow such power-off variability in an otherwise incompressible fluid; heating up air could cause expansion and push drive up slowly, or act as a slow spring as it expands/decompresses against trim pump recent action; and could also cause the looseness of the drive when pushing on it by hand.
I had thought we cycled the system enough in driving around and seeing what it was doing to purge any air, but maybe not.
I will cycle the trim all the way up and down a few times to purge air and see if that helps.

That would be the easiest to solve if true! Maybe contacting the lake bottom for a split second put enough force to it that some air got sucked into system, or for some reason sucked air at trim pump reservoir and sent it into system.
Thanks again, will try this in the morning.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:01 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lil red
could be wrong but I think Fountain runs nxt gimbals with #6's
Old 07-29-2013, 10:10 PM
Registered

UPDATE: I've cycled the drives up and down about 15 times and port still wanders up a little, and still a little looseness when lifted by hand up and down.
Do people unhook a hydraulic hose or two to "Really Purge" the air out of the system? Seems like might just get more air in that way.

Could there be some stuck or defective "shuttle valve" I read about, or other cause that would not be cleared by standard air purging by running drives fully up and down repeatedly?
Thanks again!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Trim the drive fully in and remove the trim out hose from the cylinder (line connection closest to the transom). Point the open hose into a container and have someone run the trim out until solid oil comes out of the hose, making sure there is enough oil in the reservoir. Reconnect the hose. Trim should be good to go. You could also do this on the other hose after trimming fully out to get all air out of the other side. Your Fountain probably has the pumps on the firewall with long hoses, the bubbles may just move back and forth never getting to the pump.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:38 AM
Registered

Falcon:
Yes the hoses are long with the pumps on forward firewall. I had been thinking the lines "circulate" and would dump any air in reservoir, but I can see how if the air is at the "perfect" spot it might not ever get back to the pump, or take forever.
I will do what you've outlined above.
THANKS!
Old 08-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Registered

UPDATE:
Tried bleeding the trim pump down by the trim hydraulic cylinder, no change, actually seemed to get worse.
Now, it won't go up against engine drive force in gear at all, and it trims up/out rather slowly, as though fluid is bypassing the trim cylinder or leaking.
There are NO fluid leaks, no decrease in fluid levels.

Switched trim pumps from one side to the other, same thing happens to port...so it is NOT the trim pump.

That leaves the trim hydraulic ram, sounds like a bad o-ring leading to internal trim cylinder leak
I don't have the 2000 psi gauges to test this, but looks like next step is taking off the trim hydraulic ram and taking it apart, I suspect an internal leak, maybe an O-ring went bad or slipped its groove...
Hope it comes off the SSM6 easily...
Old 08-04-2013, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you sure you didn't get the hose (and wire) connections crossed? The two ports on the pump are set a different pressures and if wrong, it will not trim out against thrust. Also, if you over-tightened the hose connection(s) to the cylinder it can crush the brass flare seat and restrict the port. It can be fixed because the seat is replaceable, but it requires some careful work to pull the brass seat out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.