76 excalibur 24 trs trans leak >

76 excalibur 24 trs trans leak

Notices

76 excalibur 24 trs trans leak

Old 08-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76 excalibur 24 trs trans leak

i have a 76 excalibur 24ft with trs drive it is the mercruiser ford not the borg warner trans. The problem im having is the trans fluid leaks out within a minute when the boats running. It dosent seem to be coming from the front out were the fly wheel is but from the bottom were a hole or inspection cover is towards the middle to back of trans. Any clues or what it might be this is mt first trs im use to alphas and bravos
Old 08-09-2013, 07:02 AM
rws
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an oil cooler that mounts with 4 bolts on the Starboard side with 4 bolts you may be able to remove that and replace the gasket.

If you look at this Crack Smokers Ebay add you can see what I am refering to.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRS-and-TR-M...834c79&vxp=mtr
Old 08-09-2013, 08:19 AM
Registered

I also had the same problem with my 24 Carrera the cooler in the trans maybe cracked if not winterized correctly instead of buying a new one for $300 bring it to a radiator repair shop and they will weld it for $40 make sure you flush it when you winterize it this year or you will have the same problem next year
Old 08-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Registered

what runs through the cooler oil or water i dont know if the cooler is submerged in the fluid and water runs through it or if oil runs through it and it has water around it. so i just pull those 4 bolts pull it out and i should be able to see a rupture i take it
Old 08-09-2013, 04:29 PM
rws
Registered

If you have some room you will be able to pull the cooler without pulling the trans. The cooler is simply a loop of copper tubing that has water flowing thru it.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Registered

I doubt there is a problem with the cooler if you dont have water in the trans it could be that gasket though. Fill it up, look at it as it runs figure out where the leak is. Dont run it dry!!
Old 08-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Registered

well i found the problem i pulled the motor and the front seal in the trans was just rattling arpound on the input shaft it looks like it was only installed maybe a 1/8th of an inch in the housing it wasnt installed all the way so im guessing that fluid pressure poped it out. Now why was it installed luike that is the question because its a brand new seal