Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
TRS pushing oil from breathers.... both of them... >

TRS pushing oil from breathers.... both of them...

Notices

TRS pushing oil from breathers.... both of them...

Old 08-20-2013, 11:54 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

When I upped my power to 600HP and put on larger props I also noticed that my drives were running hotter. They would now get the white chalky hard water stains that I had only seen on Bravo drives prior. So they are creating more heat and with that heat the fluid is expanding more. Mine barely registers on the dipstick when cold.

If I ever get around to it I was going to make a shower for my drives.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience was the same as said above, anything over just barely on the tip of the dipstick and it would puke out and make a mess.

I taped the dipsticks down with gray electrical tape (leaves no residue, like black does), and swapped the breathers out to nipples with clear hoses to additional puke tanks until we got it under control. Once it quit showing up in the clear hose, removed the extra tanks, put the breathers back on and left it alone.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by RWS Cigarette
If you try it as I mentioned above and still have spillage then it most likely means that your upper drive bearings are going bad. I also run mine hard and no problems. Also don't over look your engine RPM difference because it could be in your transmissions and/or drives.
The drives are fairly fresh (10 hours) should not be upper bearings especially both at once....

enines were equal when in the other boat, one engine has merc ignition, other has msd, the merc one has less timingit looks like, I am putting the MSD distributor/ign in that one today...im almost sure that's the issue..
Old 08-21-2013, 05:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by c_deezy
My experience was the same as said above, anything over just barely on the tip of the dipstick and it would puke out and make a mess.

I taped the dipsticks down with gray electrical tape (leaves no residue, like black does), and swapped the breathers out to nipples with clear hoses to additional puke tanks until we got it under control. Once it quit showing up in the clear hose, removed the extra tanks, put the breathers back on and left it alone.
I am gonna run this weekend with less fluid and see what happens, I removed a little to bottom of resivoirs, just a tiny bit in there now
Old 08-21-2013, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mine used to do it all the time on my cig .if i ran 3 blade props never happened .as soon as i put the 4 blades back on it would do it again .as others have said run it low on fluid in the res
Old 08-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989mach1
I am learning form all your threads so thanks.....just keep having them problems and I will keep learning
The TRS drives have a reservoir mounted on the transom in the engine compartment with a dipstick, unlike your bravos that have a clear reservoir with no dipstick. Just before each launch I check oil dipstick, tranny dipstick, and drive oil dipstick X2. It's a pain in the arse but can save you lots of $$$$.

Full Force, would your prop selection be making the drives work to hard?
Old 08-21-2013, 05:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the reason. The only other reason that they will spit is when they get water in them. The water expands and pushes it out the top but as you said, fluid is clean. They are just over filled.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Last weekend I was using my 24P 3 blades... 53-5500 rpm....
Originally Posted by s022mag
The TRS drives have a reservoir mounted on the transom in the engine compartment with a dipstick, unlike your bravos that have a clear reservoir with no dipstick. Just before each launch I check oil dipstick, tranny dipstick, and drive oil dipstick X2. It's a pain in the arse but can save you lots of $$$$.

Full Force, would your prop selection be making the drives work to hard?
Old 08-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All 3 of mine did it. Even barely on the stick. Just freshened 1 out drive and it stopped doing it. I assume its part running hard, part worn out.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not worn out, just redone 10 hours ago!!