Notices

Bravo One binding

Old 09-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo One binding

I noticed that my drive seems to be binding when I try to spin the prop by hand forward. Spinning it in reverse seems fine, but going forward it will spin if I use two hands, but kind of hard to spin it using the same force as I use doing it in reverse. I took a quick vid to try to explain it better. I haven't drained the fluid yet, I was going to do that and pull the lower off and see what's going on. The boat ran fine last time I had it out, my guess is that it may be the lower gears starting to have issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpiiliywnF0
Old 09-12-2013, 07:27 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like it is part way into gear. Spin the motor over without starting it and wiggle the shift lever, see if that helps. It looks like the shift linkage may not be properly adjusted.
If it is the old style gears (thin floored- OL and earlier) the thrust bearing cover under the clutch spring have a tendancy to crack into pieces and can cause the same issue.
What year is the drive? What does the serial number start with?

Dick
Old 10-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice.

I fiddled with the shifter and that's all it was, checked it again and it spun around just fine. Got to remember to try the simple things first. Ran it all around the islands yesterday for a last fall run and it ran and shifted fine.