Notices

3800 rpm wall

Old 10-18-2013, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3800 rpm wall

Gentlemen, I am new to this site. I hate to beat a dead horse about an RPM range but I could use some help. I have a 24' 1999 Baja Boss H2X with a 7.4 MPI and a Bravo one drive (don't know ratio because it's not on the drive ANYWHERE) running a 23P prop. Engine starts and runs great, no hesitation, no missing, throttle response is very crisp. We have done a compression test and everything is great. We are currently doing a leakdown test to verify no other problem exists. The issue I am having is the engine RPM will not go over 3800. I have ran a 21P prop and no difference. I have even used the trailer switch while running down the water and raised the prop out until it would throw an 80' rooster tail and the engine RPM never went above 3800. Never did it even try to hit the rev limiter. We have hooked it up to a computer and went for a ride, verified that my tach was reading correctly and it matched the computer to the tee, no codes, no warning buzzers. This has me stumped, and I'm not one for throwing money at something and getting the same results. Do any of you have any suggestions on what this could be?
Old 10-18-2013, 08:14 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check for a fuel restriction. Verify the pick up tube in the tank is clear, nothing in the anti siphon valve. The best test would be a vacuum gauge connected to a tee fitting placed in the fuel feed line to the engine. You are looking for little to no vacuum.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Is the throttle opening all the way?
Old 10-18-2013, 08:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrv8outboard
I would check for a fuel restriction. Verify the pick up tube in the tank is clear, nothing in the anti siphon valve. The best test would be a vacuum gauge connected to a tee fitting placed in the fuel feed line to the engine. You are looking for little to no vacuum.
I pulled the anti-siphon valve out and it was as clean as a new one. I did not do a suction test though. I will try that. Now if it was fuel restriction would the plugs not show a lean condition or would the ECM correct for that? The plugs look like a perfect running engine.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Registered

Throttle buterfly is deff opening all the way with the throttle lever
Old 10-18-2013, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you checked running fuel pressure? Or fuel volume? You could spray "carefully" carb cleaner or brake clean running wide open and see if it changes engine rpm.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it maybe in "limp mode"?
Old 10-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hullofjustis
Have you checked running fuel pressure? Or fuel volume? You could spray "carefully" carb cleaner or brake clean running wide open and see if it changes engine rpm.
Fuel pressure is a little on the low side but stays constant through out the RPM range
Old 10-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jrdonnellyjr
Is it maybe in "limp mode"?
According to the computer, everything is within specs while running under a load. No codes are being kicked out and none stored

Last edited by Toolman62; 10-18-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

try cleaning the filter on the hi pressure pump in the VST tank.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.