Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Drive Trim - Spotty Performance?  How do I diagnose? >

Drive Trim - Spotty Performance? How do I diagnose?

Notices

Drive Trim - Spotty Performance? How do I diagnose?

Old 11-02-2013, 09:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Drive Trim - Spotty Performance? How do I diagnose?

I have HP gimbles and just replaced my Livorsi thumb switch on the throttle with a new switch, new diodes and gold plated connectors. The switch on the dash and the switch on the throttle work spotty for the starboard drive for the up position. Sometimes it works great sometimes it wont work at all. The fluids are full. I swear it works better when the boat is turned off but I cant confim.

Where do I start this process of diagnosing?

I have standard Merc bravo hydraulic trim systems for the drives and tabs. As you can guess, it is driving me nuts since I thought the new trim switch would fix it all... But it didnt so here we are!
Old 11-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

solenoid....
Old 11-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I had same issue in my 25ol.. changed both solenoids on trim pump.. easy and cheap.. well on a single.. lol

For some reason,, grass is green and sky is blue stuck in my mind.. "wire diagram"
Old 11-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

OK went over today and tried it again.

But the weird part is that I swapped the wires form the throttle switch and now it does it in the down position... Where do I start? The Diode? The Throttle Switch or the dash switch?

I play with the switch long enough I can make it do it again. With the boat off the solenoid clicks but the drive doesnt move.
So now I am really confused.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:01 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Your throttle switch is wired into your dash switch via the diodes. This would make the problem in the actual dash switch wiring.
It sounds like you have a bad connection on one of the power wires for the up position. Clean the connections on the wire and the switch and make sure they fit tight.
Also check the grounds for that switch, but since it only does it for up, it is most likely the power wire.