Notices

Bravo XR oil leak

Old 11-09-2013, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Bravo XR oil leak

Last time I took my boat out notice my outdrive was low on oil so I topped the oil fill up. Now it's sitting in the garage an noticed some oil on the ground. Drained some an there wasn't any trace of water. I checked it again this evening and noticed it's leaking from where the upper and lower meet. Also noticed some oil around one of the bolts that connect the two. Didn't have time to look into it more but could it be as simple as a loose bolt? Seal between the upper and lower? Or is something else going on that's forcing the oil out? I do all my work myself to my boat. Not had any outdrive problems so I don't know much about it. Just what I've been studying on here. Any suggests will be appreciated.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Re-torque your bolts and see if it stops . If not then probably a bad o-ring . Just get a lower mounting gasket kit and make sure you oil the o-rings before assembly which I'm sure you already know . It's a simple operation .
Old 11-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:39 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I would do as the deep said.
Worst case is you will need split the upper and lower and reseal. Its easy to do without even removing the drive.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

if you end up splitting the lower from the upper be sure to replace the quad ring with one from your merc dealer,dont substitute it with anything else as it will leak,also when you change it clean any gasket sealer that might have been applied previously.