Checking my drive not sure if it's the problem >

Checking my drive not sure if it's the problem

Notices

Checking my drive not sure if it's the problem

Old 12-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking my drive not sure if it's the problem

I had a problem a while back now that winter is here I pulled the drive again today. My question how far do I go before sending it to someone. I really would like to inspect it but not get in to something that's going to cause problems if I have to send it out.
Here is the link to what happen.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...tal-metal.html
The Gimbal bearing is fine no water in the bellow the u joints are fine, I did not strain the oil it only has a few hours on it and looked good. But I will. Should I separate the lower from the upper? Can I check the gears easily?
Just throwing some questions.

Thanks
Tim
Old 12-02-2013, 01:33 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Never heard of an outdrive making the noise that you describe..........at least not for more than a few seconds before it came apart.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Registered

I guess I may have miss lead everyone. I'm not sure it was the out drive. But it has about 60 to 70hrs. on it since I have owned the boat so it is time for a check up. It is an XR drive What can I do before I send it to someone?
Drive is off the boat and oil is drained the u joints look and feel fine Gimbal bearing feels smooth. Should I pull the top cap off, if I do what can I expect to see.
Bottom line I'm a good mechanic but do not want to screw something up that will cost me down the road, so i'm looking for direction.
Thanks
Tim
Old 12-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tim,
did you find any metal on the magnets when you drainded it? Any chunks or flakes? That is the tell tale sign there are problems in a drive. If no metal and the oil looked clean then, then I would start looking else where. When they self distruct there is usually metal or burnt oil..
A tear down inspection would might give you some peace of mind.
Hope that helps.
Dick
Old 12-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there an except able amount of metal to find on your magnet? I changed mine and found a very small amount on mine. It was so fine it was more like mud. It was such a small amount it didn't cover the magnet
Old 12-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

a little fuzz on the magnet is normal.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:18 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The fuzz (like pencil lead) indicates that the thrust washer on the pinion yoke is spinning, That causes the preload on the pinion bearings to go away. The bearings will now shift sideways as the power is applied to the drive. This causes the snout in the case to show a wear spot. After a while a ridge can build up if let go too long. Then even with new bearings the preload is taxed to stay at the proper tension because the snout is egg shaped.
If the metal shows strands or flakes and especially chunks, that usually indicates pitting on the gears and they are at the end of their life. So yes, pencil lead type fuzz is somewhat normal, but it does have a source. On drive with new gears you will see metal on the magnets for about 25 hrs while the gears are breaking in. Of course that metal is flowing with the oil through the tapered bearings that have preload set and so on and so on.. Just the way a Bravo works..
Hope that helps.
Dick
Old 12-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
Tim,
did you find any metal on the magnets when you drainded it? Any chunks or flakes? That is the tell tale sign there are problems in a drive. If no metal and the oil looked clean then, then I would start looking else where. When they self distruct there is usually metal or burnt oil..
A tear down inspection would might give you some peace of mind.
Hope that helps.
Dick
Nothing found on the magnet nothing in the oil. Oil was very low hours. Boat was only ran once since the orginal problem happened. probably 3 to 4 hours.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Possible that the coupler was tearing?
Old 12-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Registered

Was my first thought. But no smoke or burning smell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.