Old 12-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Are you sure it's a xr? From the pic it looks like a bravo 1
Old 12-19-2013, 10:27 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some drives have no # on them.They can be ID by a visual inspection. Angle of the gears and type of retainer on the input to verify it is a X style case.JOHN SR
Old 12-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Would never pay 5k for a used XR when new ones can typically be found for 6500. (brand new uppers were on here last Summer for 3500) I've got two spares so I can rotate them as they wear, (pull the magnets and swap out when it looks like a Chia Pet)

They just have such a short lifespan that most (if not all) used XR's need work. (mine show heavy wear at 35 hrs...) Even if you do all your own work as I do, parts are rediculouly expensive. Just the parts to freshen up a lower are @ 1200 or so. Uppers can run @ 3k. Yeah, I've bought used drives but you just got to get them cheap and assume eveything inside is toast as more often than not it is. Even @ 35 hrs...
Old 12-19-2013, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had a good XR with a standard lower and some Bmax shafts for sale for $5,000.00 and no hits on it.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggus
Would never pay 5k for a used XR when new ones can typically be found for 6500. (brand new uppers were on here last Summer for 3500) I've got two spares so I can rotate them as they wear, (pull the magnets and swap out when it looks like a Chia Pet)

They just have such a short lifespan that most (if not all) used XR's need work. (mine show heavy wear at 35 hrs...) Even if you do all your own work as I do, parts are rediculouly expensive. Just the parts to freshen up a lower are @ 1200 or so. Uppers can run @ 3k. Yeah, I've bought used drives but you just got to get them cheap and assume eveything inside is toast as more often than not it is. Even @ 35 hrs...
After a few years of that RIK's conversion kit doesn't look so bad.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Registered

That is why I went with a bmax..... Why rebuild and spend the time when new ones can be bought for only a couple hundred more? I was thinking about just keeping as a spare in case crap happens and if there is not value I will keep it for just that. The serial number was checked and believed to be an XR according to mercrusierparts.com site listing. I am going to pull the cap and check the gears as well to see how they are cut. A very reliable source on here gave me the info on how to verify and end the debate.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Registered

+1 for the price they want for xr's compared to bravo1's it almost doesnt seem worth it. with the short life span of xr gears next to the cost for parts alone to rebuild them everyother season doesnt seem cost effective. grant it if you drive the boat like you own it and don't air it out you will keep it alive much longer. However when both bravo1's and xr's have a limited life span behind big power why spend thousand more for the 10 or so hours an xr may or may not get you. If your going to spend the money you might as well get it over with and buy the sixs, Bmax, or the best, arneson's. Just my two cents
Old 12-19-2013, 06:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BLUEMAGIC
+1 for the price they want for xr's compared to bravo1's it almost doesnt seem worth it. with the short life span of xr gears next to the cost for parts alone to rebuild them everyother season doesnt seem cost effective. grant it if you drive the boat like you own it and don't air it out you will keep it alive much longer. However when both bravo1's and xr's have a limited life span behind big power why spend thousand more for the 10 or so hours an xr may or may not get you. If your going to spend the money you might as well get it over with and buy the sixs, Bmax, or the best, arneson's. Just my two cents
Complete bravo's down here have been selling for $900.00 on Craig's list. I could blow a ton of them up for the cost of one XR! You make a good point!
Old 12-19-2013, 06:57 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

So someone is thinking of buying XR's has a 32' whatever and is going to put a little power in it.To save from the problems he MAY have with stock bravo's or XR.He should go to B max #6's or Arneson's .$15,000 boat $20,000 st of motors.And so he doesn't have any problems with drives a 50,000 st of # 6's Sounds logical to me.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:59 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad you said it Kurt. These things are just not worth much especially in a used form. It's a crap shoot at best buying this stuff online, you just don't know what's goin on inside. So some mechanic 1500 miles away says it's in good shape. SO! Is he going to give you our cash back? I bet the seller sure as heck won't. Even though I have bought new uppers for 3900, I always tend to look for cases for cheap and buy new from there. Even that can be risky. Last year I bought a case in NY for 500 that wound up being a bit more banged up than I thought.
Engines too. If you or a reputable shop didn't built it, how do you know? Buyers beware

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.