Bravo I Slipping under load >

Bravo I Slipping under load

Notices

Bravo I Slipping under load

Old 02-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bravo I Slipping under load

Boat is 1979 Formula 255 Liberator with twin 400+ horse SBC on Bravo I's. I ran a few months with both props turnig CW. Realizing my limitations with this set up I obtained a Kiekhaefer Zero Effort controller and reversed the rotation on the port drive. Props are Mirage 23" LH on Port and RH on Starboard.

OK...new issue. Got in the wter this am nd idled up to Hillsboro inlet...cldeared the bridge and put the wood to it. I come up on plane nd suddenly the Port engine races away. I backed off and tried again....same result. I limped back to the ramp and called it a day.

History: This same thing happened whe I ws out with Diego and Brian and I assumed it was a spun hub in the port LH prop (23" Mirage). So I had it re hubbed this past week and put it back on this am...obviously this is not the problem.

I rulled out coupler because I smelled no burnt rubber either time and it always worked fine tuning RH. The only thing I think is left is the shift is enough out of adjustment that it's slipping out of gear. I but the port drive in forward and tried to turn the port prop CW against the gear and it would not budge. Bravo I's are Bi Directional drives so if it works in CW it has to work in CCW...at least in theory. Never had any issue turning port drive CW...all my issues have come on since I changed to CCW. Starboard Drive works flawlessly.

I have a one year warranty on the drive so I'm covered if that's it. Any ideas that I haven't thought of?
Old 02-15-2014, 10:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

2 Things:

Why dont you try swapping props and spin them in. (or at least opposite of what you have)

and

Maybe you are a hair out of being fully engaged and the cone clutch slips just a little. Throw mercruiser drive cable gauge on just to ensure you arent out of adjustment on the shift cable.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or swap drives ,,if it still does it then you knoe its a coupler or adjustment..
Old 02-16-2014, 06:58 PM
Registered

Thanks guys...we will see tomorrow
Old 02-18-2014, 02:06 PM
Registered

UPDATE:

Turns out that the newly hubbed prop is still slipping and needs to be re-hubbed again!!!

Tommy Hoffstetter had two props done at the same time and both of his failed. We will give the prop shop the opportunity to redeem themselves before we cast the first stone...
Old 02-20-2014, 03:34 PM
Registered

Prop is hubbed again waiting for me to pick it up. I will be in the water this weekend. Thank you Frank and Jimmy's of Ft. Lauderdale for your quick response. I dropped the prop off and it was ready in less than 2 hours!!
Old 02-20-2014, 03:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

What props and hubs?
Old 02-20-2014, 10:15 PM
Registered

I thought that my port drive was slipping...turns out that the prop that was re hubbed was slipping again so it was not a drive problem...prop shop re hubbed again so aparrently issue was prop and not drive.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sprink58
Prop is hubbed again waiting for me to pick it up. I will be in the water this weekend. Thank you Frank and Jimmy's of Ft. Lauderdale for your quick response. I dropped the prop off and it was ready in less than 2 hours!!
Those guys are great!