B1 drive service question >

B1 drive service question

Notices

B1 drive service question

Old 02-16-2014, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B1 drive service question

I have my drive off the boat right now while the engine is being rebuilt. The drive got all new gears about a season ago and is in good shape. Mt question is, while it's off the boat what should be serviced on it besides the oil and o rings? Should I have it resealed? There has maybe been 65 hours since the drive was rebuilt and I change the oil every 20 Hours or before/1 after a poker run. I am planning on removing the Livorsi drive shower and installing the Billet Marine top cap shower with the bearings installed. The other option would be to just put on a new Teague shower and call it good. The livorsi sport tech shower that's on there is garbage IMO.
Any recommendations besides that? Unfortunately upgrading to XR gears right now is out of the question. I am just going to try to take it real easy on the one I have for now.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:47 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If there is no metal on the magnets, I would just drain it and refill it.
If you want to replace the top cap, you need to measure the difference, if any, between the two caps, the distance to the race shim seat. If there is a difference it can be compensated with a differnt shim to keep the gear lash the same.
If you don't have enough power to break teeth off the helical gears, then stick with them. XR gears start to pit after a short time. The helical gears can live a long life if not over powered.
Hope that helps.
Dick
Old 02-17-2014, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
If there is no metal on the magnets, I would just drain it and refill it.
If you want to replace the top cap, you need to measure the difference, if any, between the two caps, the distance to the race shim seat. If there is a difference it can be compensated with a differnt shim to keep the gear lash the same.
If you don't have enough power to break teeth off the helical gears, then stick with them. XR gears start to pit after a short time. The helical gears can live a long life if not over powered.
Hope that helps.
Dick

Thanks Dick, so it sounds like if it isn't broke don't start screwing with it? I' going to drain the oil and change the o rings and call it good with the Teague drive shower then. Thanks for you input
Old 02-20-2014, 08:06 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your welcome..