Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
alpha-bravo swap...how much interchanges? >

alpha-bravo swap...how much interchanges?

Notices

alpha-bravo swap...how much interchanges?

Old 03-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default alpha-bravo swap...how much interchanges?

I have heard inner transom plate is the same. what about upper shift cable and steering? flywheel cover? coupler? shifter assy? (the piece bolted to manifolds.) exhaust y-pipe? gen 1 alpha. 2000 bravo 3.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:54 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Housing will work if all you want to do is change drive and transom.Alpha coupler has a small dia hub Bravo hub is larger.But the alpha coupler and bell housing will work on the bravo drive inner and outer plate.Have done this several times they say to use a bravo coupler but the alpha works fine as long as no big power is put to it..You can use your alpha inner if it has the little round cut out where the shaft goes thru.You need that if your bravo drive has the internal oil reservoir some alpha has this cut out .The shift cable from controller is the same.The shifter piece on the exhaust is different Bravo is not spring loaded with the ignition interrupter switch.Bravo does not use that.Y pipe will work.You will need to drill 2 more holes in the transom at the top of outer housing.JOHN SR
Old 03-16-2014, 02:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Just to clarify, you are going from Alpha to Bravo 3 (twin prop) ? Not alpha to Bravo 1.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:51 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Still the same transom assembly set up no difference.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:01 PM
Registered

actually i am going from bravo 3 to gen 1 alpha. i am waiting on an estate settlement. a lil dinero is finally gonna come my way. but in the meantime i bought this boat as hull-transom and trailer. and i gotta run the paid-for parts i have in the garage. i am gonna wait till last minute to swap transoms in case money comes thru in time to buy a B1 drive. ok, so i have to swap shift bracket in engine compartment. and it is a healthy 355, but not exotic. 24 crownline 248 ccr. boat for the spousal unit this time around...trim cyls. bravos are close to an inch shorter than alphas. i am thinking with drive tucked all way in to get on plane, it will be at a better angle to lift stern. or will alpha gimball hsng be bound up tight if i pull all the way down? possibly stressing hinge points and gimball ring?

Last edited by dereknkathy; 03-16-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
Still the same transom assembly set up no difference.
Good to know!!!!! Thinking next time the Bravo 1 blows out, going with a 3 to push the heavy Bird.

Good Luck D&K.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:57 PM
Registered

you don't even hafta change the upper.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:49 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
you don't even hafta change the upper.
You lost me.If you are going from alpha 1 to bravo 1 bravo 2 or bravo 3 what I have told you is correct.The alpha power steering on the inside is the same unless it is a older style.then you must change.The bravo 1,2,3 transom assemblies are all the same except for the HP model but still all bolt to the transom the same.You must use the bravo transom assembly outer> but the inner alpha will work if it has the round cut out <like I had said earlier along with the alpha bell housing.But what do you mean by this (you don't even hafta change the upper???. JOHN SR

Last edited by Fenderjack; 03-17-2014 at 09:57 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-17-2014, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I think he was taking about changing a B1 to a B3....
Old 03-17-2014, 11:18 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Well from his first post looks like he want's to go from a alpha 1 to a 2000 bravo.So I guess at this point do not know what he is doing or wanting to do.He has me lost for words.JOHN SR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.