Speedmaster 3 questions? >

Speedmaster 3 questions?

Notices

Speedmaster 3 questions?

Old 04-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Speedmaster 3 questions?

Very new to SSM drives and my 1985 12 meter has a pair of em. Was looking into oil changing procedure and have some questions. I have read that there are "3" plugs on the outisde of the drive and you fill to one- install that plug and then fill to the top plug and thats it. I have the bottom drain plug, the top "full" plug and the large plug in the front of the drive which is only about an inch lower than the "full" plug, this this the 3rd plug? I drained the drives this morning and when filling do i just fill to the top/side plug like you would any other Bravo? What is the front "nut style" plug for? Also, i disregard the sight glass on the inner transom plate for being full, correct? Last year, when i got the boat, i added oil to the line mark on the sight glass but then i got drive oil in the bilge after running and the sight glass was empty again after cool? Is that because the drive was actually over full when cold and full to the sight glass and after running/expanding it puked into the bilge? last question, the drain plug is short and doesnt have a magnetic prong on the end like a bravo does, the ones I have are pretty beat up, is it ok to replace with them with the bravo magnetic style or would it be too long? Thanks in advance guys! Mike
Old 04-11-2014, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Mike, I believe the procedure for filling is

Install bottom drain plug.

Fill from the ''NUT" large plug until oil runs out the vent plug, which is the slotted one in the upper housing. Then install and tighten both top plugs.

As far as the magnetic tip plugs, yes, i believe they are the same thread as a bravo, so you could use those style
Old 04-11-2014, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine i filled from the bottom to the top plug, then topped it off on the inside
Old 04-12-2014, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 4,286 Likes on 1,237 Posts

I fill mine till it comes out the top plugs then fill the over flow bottles just a bit.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Just went and looked in the merc manual. The SSM III procedure is

Remove both upper plugs and lower plug. Fill from the bottom, until fluid is at the plug with the hex head (rear of upper cap). Install that plug. Then continue filling until oil flows from the upper vent plug (slotted screwdriver one). Then you are good to go. They say to disregard the sight glass on the inner transom plate, and do not fill to that line. Its for expansion only.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]521928[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]521927[/ATTACH]I'm in complete agreement with Mild Thunder with one exception. I would not use the internal expansion "chamber" in the stock #3 inner transom plate, as it is extremely difficult to see the level of the fluid thru the little round sight glass. Instead I would use a separate clear "bottle", plumbed with the inlet from the drive feeding the bottom of the bottle with enough capacity for 3-4 quarts of fluid (probably overkill). If you position the bottles on the transom, after a bit of running time, you will be able to see where the level of the fluid is if you stop raise the hatch and periodically check the bottle level. I would then follow the cold fill procedure, as outlined above, but keep filling the drive, when you have replaced all the plugs until you see approx. 1" of fluid in the bottom of the bottle. That way if you see a completely dry bottle, when you are running, you know something is going on with the drive and/or seals etc. Just my opinion.
You can see the "clear" bottles, if you look really closely that I used on my blown Cigarette. They worked really well, but make sure they are have a vented cap.
Attached Thumbnails Speedmaster 3 questions?-1997-chevrolet-1t-023.jpg   Speedmaster 3 questions?-1997-chevrolet-1t-019.jpg  

Last edited by RMPRam; 04-13-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:27 AM
Registered

awesome, thanks for the replys and advice
Old 05-15-2014, 08:46 AM
Registered

Thanks RMPRam, I picked up a couple overflow style bottles that i am going to plumb into the existing breathers on the top of the res on the transom plate, I was having leaks from those when drives were warm and expanding too far into the chamber, will also allow me to keep a better "visual" on the drive oil making sure it is full.

Question, the large nut/hex plug on the front upper of the drives are froze up and both of them are pretty rounded off from the previous owner andI cant break them loose and dont want to strip them anymore than they already are. Leaving these installed all the time i assume is not a big deal, correct? Someone mentioned you needed to pull all 3 plugs inorder to get all the air out when draining? I fear the only way these are coming out is with an extractor. Thanks again guys for the advice