Bravo Drive Shaft Seal Leak >

Bravo Drive Shaft Seal Leak

Notices

Bravo Drive Shaft Seal Leak

Old 05-13-2014, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bravo Drive Shaft Seal Leak

I searched for multiple words, but wasn't able to find the answers so hopefully I'm not repeating a thread here but...

2002 Baja Bravo 1 with 6.2L

History - June last year checked the lube (pulled bottom plug drained a few oz) looked fine, clean, blue, no water. Only put 25 hours on last summer, did complete drive oil change a couple weeks ago, again oil looked fine, no water or metallic.

Scenario - sent boat to shop for drive service: remove & check, bellows, gimbel bearing, alignment, grease fittings etc. Received call back "prop shaft is leaking" $650 parts and labor to complete the job. Shop saw drive oil, (there was some residule around the gear case from my change) did pressure test and came to conclusion prop seals are bad. I need to call the dealer back for more details in a couple hours so will likely have an update then as well. Are there other questions I should ask?

My Questions for OSO:
- Does a bad prop shaft seal allow oil to escape or water to enter the gear case, or both? I'm OK with a tiny leak that would require topping off the drive fluid with a couple oz each month, not OK with water entering the gear case.
- What would case the shaft seal to fail, the boats only got ~100 hours on it.
- Does a bad prop shaft seal cause wear on any other rotating components?

I'm really trying to understand if the $650 is really required like right NOW or if I check the oil (pull the prop and plug let the oil settle in a glass jar) for water every couple weeks and keep and eye on it will it be OK for the season? Just not sure if this a "your brake pads are at 25% and need to be changed" or metal on metal situation?

Any help would be greately appreciated.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Lube should not leak out, nor water come in. In the 25 hours of use last year, was the lube level down any? If you trust that the shop is being truthful and not drumming up work, then okay, but I think that is a little high priced. Pull bearing carrier replace seals, put bearing carrier back in and set rolling torque. Couple hours over and above what they are already doing I would think.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:10 PM
Registered

Shop said while they are already pulling apart lower/upper might as well change all seals. Seal set is $175 of the $650. I didn't notice any change in the lube level throughout last season or while the boat was in storage all winter.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Did they see the oil residue from where you drained it and ,,assume,, you have a leak, and do you really need it replaced,, I would risk leaving it as is and running it to see if it the oil level changes
Old 05-14-2014, 01:46 PM
Registered

Talked to the dealer for more details; they did do pressure/vaccum check and saw the leak. Tech said he felt comfortable if I keep a close eye on both the resivior and check the gear case oil for water I should be OK for some time. So based on the history so far I am going to keep an eye on the fluid and do the seal service later in the season.