Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Swivel pin leaking  need help!!!! >

Swivel pin leaking need help!!!!

Notices

Swivel pin leaking need help!!!!

Old 05-21-2014, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Swivel pin leaking need help!!!!

Hello

I'm hoping you can help shed some light on this issue. I have a swivel pin leaking and I see it as having 3 options to fix. Let me add I literally just changed u joint bellows, shift cable , shift bellows, gimbel bearing, and intake tube. With that being said should I
1. Do the JR marine fix ? The drive does move side to side about 1/2 - 3/4 inch. If the ring needs to be repaired the total cost about $ 600. if a new ring is needed this repair puts me at about $ $1400 Obviously I will be doing the labor.

2. Pay a shop to fix it and they said they would fix it the right way I am guessing they will change ring to new and plus labor with them removing the motor should be about $ 1900

3. Purchase new assembly for $2000 with rams and everything, pay labor so this puts me at around $3300.

What would you do ? I am thinking of getting into a bigger boat from. 25 to a 27 or 29, only because the wife mentioned it. But I still have to fix my problem.
I'm not sure how well the JR marine fix works so looking for some g undenied from you guys.

Any help is appriciated
Old 05-22-2014, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

the jr marine kit is the way to go.all the parts are top quality and they will weld&remachine your gimble ring.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Registered

ok went to order the parts from JR Marine and they are closed til May 30. Oh well, I know when speaking to Ron he mentioned if the drive had excessive slop, I would have to buy a new ring which was like $900. What is consider to excessive and non repairable?

Also, since I was there for all the bellows what else would I need so far I think it is:
SS Swivel Shaft
JR Marine seal kit w/ SS "U" bolt.
Do I need the steering arm?

anything else?
Old 05-22-2014, 02:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

I would probably buy this:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...used-nice.html (assuming it is in good shape)

yank engine, bolt this on, put engine back in and be boating by end of day Saturday. Assuming you get it shipped overnight.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:09 AM
Registered

Seafordguy,

Thanks for the link but as you said assuming it is in good shape. If I buy this I am stuck with 2 problems if it is not in good shape. I rather buy the new part.

I just evaluate my situation with clear mind and good light. My drive has about 1 inch play full swing or 1/2 side to side. I dont think this is excessive but definitely needs to be addressed.

As for my up and down play there is none.

So.... here is my delima, I can not order the JR Marine kit because he is on Vacation until 5/30. I just ordered a Armstrong waterpump wrench 1 1/16. I have read that a user was able to remove the tiller arm from inside the boat without removing the engine. I have a good amount of room back there and was able to change the inlet tube pretty easy on a previous project. My question is has anyone else done this or have hear if this is possible. I figure I have about 6 days to try and do this approach. I know it is harder / long but what else will I do for the 6 days.

Also, If I am successful removing the swivel pin through this method and notice the ring is cracked or broken, Is it possible to remove the entire gimbel assembly by bracing the motor in place and removing the 8 bolts on the inner transom, releasing the outer assembly.

The reason for me going this route wif the ring is broke, is because I rather spend the extra money on a full assembly unit then just replacing the ring.

My best case scenario would be to have it disassembled by 5/30, then send it to JR Marine so that when he returns he can ship the replacement unit back to me.

Looking for thoughts and suggestions

Thanks
Old 05-24-2014, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can buy the whole new assembly for $2,000.00 and do it yourself ,,,the answer becomes obvious. In My Opinion.....Surely you can figure out something to hook a hoist to and pull your motor. Parts are only new once .....
Old 05-24-2014, 04:17 PM
Registered

True this is worse case for me.

But if I don't need to take this route now I rather not.

However if I can remove the ring and fix it with out removing engine I rather do it that way.

I'm looking for advice for those that may have done it other ways rather than the straight forward removal of engine