Merctrans II with TR

Notices

Merctrans II with TR

Old 06-20-2014, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merctrans II with TR

Howdy!
I have a merctrans II with a TR outdrive, last year my bellows let go and the water followed the shaft and filled up my trans.
I have flushed it a number of times now (6) and think I have gotten all the nastiness out but have a few question was hoping to get some help with.
This boat was new to me last year (82 Searay amberjack, Chevy 454 and the tr setup)

I have been out trolling and noticed that the trans does not always engage easily under low rpm. After being out for several hours it took higher rpm to get it to catch.
Trolling speed was only 1.8 and I was not using socks. I have no problem getting to boat to dance though.. it does 35+ through the lake erie chop!

questions are

is it normal to have to fight for low rpm trans engaging

should I be running ATF or synthetic in the trans? I have been seeing both being recommended.

currently I am running atf with seafoam trans added small amount. I was reading that seafoam recommends topping off with a 1/2 bottle and running for 30 minutes to degunk everything.
is this ok on this trans.

Thanks for any help!

Aaron
Old 06-20-2014, 10:52 AM
rws
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Type F Fluid is what it should have. I ran B&M Trick shift (available at summit racing)

Does your boat have an electric actuator or cable shift?
If it is electric somtimes it will mal-function and not fully shift the lever which controls a valve, thus not allowing full flow of oil.
The trans should shift into gear at idle speed.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by rws
Type F Fluid is what it should have. I ran B&M Trick shift (available at summit racing)

Does your boat have an electric actuator or cable shift?
If it is electric somtimes it will mal-function and not fully shift the lever which controls a valve, thus not allowing full flow of oil.
The trans should shift into gear at idle speed.
Sounds like rws is on the money. Probably an electric shift issue. I use Amsoil High-Perf Trans fluid now, and it has never performed better. I had an expierence when I first got my boat, that I forgot to pull the lines off the transmission cooler and drain the water before the winter. My cooler froze and split inside the Merctrans and that's where my water issue started. Might want to check yours too? I had the local radiator shop fix it real cheap.

Last edited by SHAWNA; 06-20-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:35 AM
Registered

Cooler was the first thing I checked when I started seeing water. Had a tear almost 2 inches long in my bellows and thats where it was was coming in.
Was driving me nuts trying to figure where the water was coming from!
Going to look into the shifter this afternoon. Not sure which it is.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:24 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the trans appears to be mechanically shifting alright then you must have pressure leaking off somewhere. Your just not getting enough pressure at low speeds. There is a plug in the control valve on top of the trans where you can check the pressure with a gauge. Most likely the Teflon sealing rings on the output shaft are worn and leaking off fluid pressure to the clutch pack. You can see the sealing rings in this diagram, parts #80.
http://www.perfprotech.com/mercruise.../220?model=930

This is pretty common on those 30 year old trannies and that's pretty much the only spot that they will bleed off that much fluid in forward. Most likely the trans is going to need to be gone through. PM me if I can be of any help as I have built many of these trannies in the past and have several parts for these as most all are now NLA.

Last edited by picklenjim; 07-08-2014 at 01:46 AM.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:09 PM
Registered

Hi Picklenjim.
I'm wondering if you still have any parts for Merctrans II?
I'm rebuilding mine, and it needs literally everything to be replaced 😆
I have under 10 posts so can't pm you.
Would you be able to text me or email? Thankssonicsan at gmail dot com437 99i o6 5 two