Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Can you start your engine with a Bravo Xr in gear? >

Can you start your engine with a Bravo Xr in gear?

Notices

Can you start your engine with a Bravo Xr in gear?

Old 07-04-2014, 12:06 PM
bor
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Well, I hope it lives for you, BUT Merc says the idle RPM should be 750 max for shifting.

I know ,merc love to keep warranty claims to a minimum , all manufacturers do it and I would do the same just wanted to give you some real live experience .

The xr s on my hustler whit diesels turning 34 bravo s make the same bang when put in gear at 600 rpm as my xr on the 21 at 900-1000
Old 07-04-2014, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i guess shut off key just as u shift so drive is still spinning a little to ease up on shift yoke.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:39 AM
Registered

Received 914 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by bor
The xr s on my hustler whit diesels turning 34 bravo s make the same bang when put in gear at 600 rpm as my xr on the 21 at 900-1000
Glad to know I'm not the only one fighting this shift issue with the XR's. I snapped the shifter linkage a couple seasons ago going into gear, luckily it lock into fwd so I made it home. Like Bor I'm spinning a big pitch [35p or 37p] so it's loaded heavy, which makes finding neutral super tricky when the fluid is cold. Compounding this problem, there is no way to ignition cut out the diesels..

What I've done to compensate on the Dmax is "Torque Limit" the engine at idle speeds. Have your Hustler or Cumnins rep check for that option in the ECM tuning. It's Bosch fueled, so I'm betting it's an option. Lowering my idle rpm to 600 helped me some, but limiting the engine torque to 40ft lbs at 600-800rpm range has made mine shift 50 times better than the stock config. Still tinkering with it, but I've got it working great for the most part and should add more life to the drive.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:25 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Mod done, just spliced out the safety N. sw. I'll check it out tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks for all the ideas guys, I just wanted to keep it a KISS apporach.
Thanks,
Dean
Well the mod worked great, and like some suggested, when I go to shut down the engine, I just push her in gear as the engine is just shutting down, easy peasy, and then I start it in gear. I just take my time pulling up to the dock, and my engine fires up everytime. I think this will make my XR live longer, how much longer with 620HP pushing it, time will tell.