Snapped vertical (clutch) shaft Bravo XR >

Snapped vertical (clutch) shaft Bravo XR

Notices

Snapped vertical (clutch) shaft Bravo XR

Old 07-07-2014, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Snapped vertical (clutch) shaft Bravo XR

Well.....my extra HP finally bit me. While running WOT his past Sunday I heard my drive blow. Broke the top cap on all four corners. Shut the boat down and could smell gear oil immediately. Good and bad I guess, the clutch shaft snapped, at a 45 degree angle, spun on itself and pushed the top cap off. I thought for sure my gears came apart, but they don't even show signs of wear. There are pieces in the lower. Can I put it up side down and pump hyd oil through it to clean out? It still spins, however with the oil out I can hear a little noise.

I want to change this shaft myself (no wait) and it looks pretty straight forward. The merc pin spanner wrench for the input shaft retainer (xr is different than bravo) is 200 bucks, wondering if there is an alternative or if this will work http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6613-Varia.../dp/B000F5JMEA

Should I purchase an other stock shaft, or is there an upgraded shaft available from someone? Stock is 45-812773T02

Could have been worse I guess. What else should I be inspecting for damage? Drives have about 130 original hours

Old 07-07-2014, 11:51 AM
Registered

Got the lower clean, ordered the stock merc shaft and the OTC spanner wrench, wish me luck
Old 07-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Get the Teague or Max Machine Works torsional shafts. Or, at least they are worth looking into since it looks like you already gave somebody your credit card number...

Since you need a top cap, seriously consider the Max Machine Works top cap with the 7/16 stud upgrade... Looks like you need it. LOL They are really nice pieces and I swear they added life between rebuilds (for me anyway) they obviously add rigidity since they are twice as thick as a conventional cap.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Get the Teague or Max Machine Works torsional shafts. Or, at least they are worth looking into since it looks like you already gave somebody your credit card number...

Since you need a top cap, seriously consider the Max Machine Works top cap with the 7/16 stud upgrade... Looks like you need it. LOL They are really nice pieces and I swear they added life between rebuilds (for me anyway) they obviously add rigidity since they are twice as thick as a conventional cap.
Thanks for the tips! I have a brand new top cap standard on the shelf, so I was going to use that. Yes I ordered the standard shaft. This winter I am going to tear them down again and upgrade, I will look into the items you mentioned. Trying to get back on the water for this weekend. This mishap will most likely change the way I dirve the boat :/
Old 07-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I highly doubt that OTC tool will work for you as it looks like only 2 pins for the spanner nut. The Merc tool has a number of pins to bite into the nut and it still can be a difficult job. Good luck with your repair.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Biggus
I highly doubt that OTC tool will work for you as it looks like only 2 pins for the spanner nut. The Merc tool has a number of pins to bite into the nut and it still can be a difficult job. Good luck with your repair.
Wow. I missed the multiple pins. That's a great point. Give the OTC a try with heat? Maybe I can find that wrench local

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-Merc...#ht_720wt_1238
Old 07-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

A little heat seems to work well. I've broken the Merc tool a couple times.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I use the Maxworx billet shaft and giant cap with 7/16 studs, after 300+ hours at 750-1100 hp it had cracks in it but I am sure a stock one would have broke long before that, good luck, smitty
Old 07-09-2014, 08:25 AM
Registered

Found more damage, nearly missed it. This is the first gen XR. The lower carrier bearing for the vertical shaft is in a steel housing that threads into the aluminum floor of the upper housing. When the shaft broke pieces went in the shaft needle bearing, seized it causing it to turn with the shaft. This basically caused the bearing carrier to over tighten into the floor and wipe out the threads. The carrier was floating. I have removed the carrier and am visiting a CNC shop today to see if they can repair. I really want to stick with the case that I have if possible, they are stamped and machined for the gear set and shims that are already in the case. Have any others had a problem like this?

Part #2 is what stripped http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...FXZ%2DDrive%29
Old 07-09-2014, 12:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
Found more damage, nearly missed it. This is the first gen XR. The lower carrier bearing for the vertical shaft is in a steel housing that threads into the aluminum floor of the upper housing. When the shaft broke pieces went in the shaft needle bearing, seized it causing it to turn with the shaft. This basically caused the bearing carrier to over tighten into the floor and wipe out the threads. The carrier was floating. I have removed the carrier and am visiting a CNC shop today to see if they can repair. I really want to stick with the case that I have if possible, they are stamped and machined for the gear set and shims that are already in the case. Have any others had a problem like this?

Part #2 is what stripped http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...FXZ%2DDrive%29
I'm not sure on this But Tryce/mr Gadgets has some kinda replacement tower insert that may replace the factory one and Max worx has a giant insert that replaces the whole thing top to bottom but they get around 1000$ for it installed and that of course involves sending your bare upper to them, Smitty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.