Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
2nd time in less than 10 hrs i broke the "floor" out of the fwd gear in upper >

2nd time in less than 10 hrs i broke the "floor" out of the fwd gear in upper

Notices

2nd time in less than 10 hrs i broke the "floor" out of the fwd gear in upper

Old 07-16-2014, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd time in less than 10 hrs i broke the "floor" out of the fwd gear in upper

imco sc upper and lower withe bravo 1 gears. yes im running about 675-700hp through it on 24ft cat about 3800lbs and understand thats more than recommended. but i ran it for 3 summers with no problems until one day it broke. replaced gears and about 5-10 hrs later it broke again. it happened today so its not torn apart yet but guessing its the exact same thing. had to use reverse for about a mile to get it back to the nearest boat ramp. last time it was just the bottom of the gear that broke. all teeth looked great, no metal shavings just the round part of the gear below the teeth broke and reverse worked fine as it did today. 2nd time gears were used gears but in perfect shape. should i try bravo xr gears to fix this time or are they about the same strenght? no visible signs of damage to the housing on the upper. going to check for metal again during the fix too this time. i know the scx upper would cure my problem but dont want to spend the 10k right now. any thoughts people? i dont break teeth and they dont show any wear but the floor breaking is giving me hell! i do drive the boat fairly easy and its small and light weight.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

the xr gears are stronger and have thicker floor but they still break,just not as quick.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:37 PM
Registered

thanks, imco says xr gears are a little better but have to buy a kit to install them. also they said "new" standard bravo 1 gears are stronger than the old ones because the have a thicker floor. and i will still need to buy a smaller kit to install those too. according to imco the new bravo gears are 1/8in taller cause of the thicker floor which requires a kit with some other parts to fit into a standard bravo 1 upper. thought i had an imco sc upper but turns out, after taking to imco, mine is a bravo 1 upper with imco sc stickers on it but lower is definitely an sc.
live and learn!
anyone have a excellent condition bravo 1 upper fwd/rev gear for sale?
Old 07-21-2014, 09:47 PM
Registered

What they are telling you is correct the gears are thicker floor and less prone to pushing the floor out. What ratio do you have?
Old 07-22-2014, 02:59 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Merc has and upgrade kit to put the new thick floored gears into a B1. If you are not breaking teeth, it should solve your problem with the broken floor issue.
Hope that helps.
Dick
Old 07-23-2014, 03:53 PM
Registered

Thx for info. It's a 1.5 ratio