Bravo Gimbal ring wear >

Bravo Gimbal ring wear

Notices

Bravo Gimbal ring wear

Old 08-12-2014, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts
Default Bravo Gimbal ring wear

The top of the B3 outdrive only sits about an inch above the water line so the top pin seal is always under water (single engine Formula 27PC). Several years ago I replaced the top pin and seal due to corrosion and water leaking in. Sent the gimbal ring to a company who also made the pin. When it came back there was some slop between the pin and gimbal. Torque on the gimbal ring U-bolt had no effect on play. This season I'm have even more play and I'm figuring maybe I need to upgrade the transom or gimbal. How much slop/play should there be with the gimbal and the square cut pin, and shouldn't the U-bolt be able to squeeze down on the pin?
Old 08-12-2014, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

There should be no play or slack or lost motion. Yes, the u bolt should tighten everything up, if you torqued it properly when you installed the new pin. Either the gimbal ring wasn't machined to the correct size after they welded it or your u bolt was stretched and unable to clamp properly, assuming you torqued it properly. I personally don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about a repaired gimbal ring. When you weld aluminum it anneals the metal. Annealing removes all the properties of any heat treating that was used on the casting and realigns the molecular structure of the aluminum. I know it's done all the time but the piece should be heat treated afterward to regain it's strength and integrity.

Last edited by payuppsucker; 08-12-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:23 AM
Registered

That's what I was thinking but didn't know. When I got it back I didn't see anything or the ring which gave me indication they did anything. Afterwards my thought was that they needed it to match the pin up. The U-bolt had more threads to move and look like it was setting correctly. Guess I'm going to look much closer at upgrading to X or XR.

I'm figuring an X or XR transom assembly would bolt right in place where my standard is correct?

Is the difference between the standard Bravo assembly and the X or XR just the gimbal ring or is it more in depth?
Old 08-12-2014, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

You'd have to go to an HP transom assy for anything larger, stronger. You just need to get a new or not worn out used gimbal and replace the pin again. Nothing wrong with your current setup. You can buy a brand new gimbal for $840.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:43 AM
Registered

Appreciate it much, been thinking about replacing everything engine, transom and drive. Pushing 415HP into a standard B3 and a 10K pound boat is putting some wear on parts. As you say could just replace the ring and pin and wait until next time and do it again. Spend 2K now is a lot less then 20K but don't like things wearing like they are.