Bravo 1 Shift FRWD but NO Engage

Notices

Bravo 1 Shift FRWD but NO Engage

Old 08-18-2014, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bravo 1 Shift FRWD but NO Engage

Hey Gents,

Last time I was out I was having issues getting port to engage frwd, it would slide right up but not engage. The reverse was being stubborn also but was catching occasionally then may have lost both directions of movement. There is no resistance in either direction. I am heading to LOTO for the Shootout in a few days and need any ideas you have. Thanks
Old 08-18-2014, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxximus
Hey Gents,

Last time I was out I was having issues getting port to engage frwd, it would slide right up but not engage. The reverse was being stubborn also but was catching occasionally then may have lost both directions of movement. There is no resistance in either direction. I am heading to LOTO for the Shootout in a few days and need any ideas you have. Thanks
Are you saying there is no resistance or engagement in either direction? Have you checked the cables? How about pulling the back cap off the drive, checking the detent and movement in the drive while someone is shifting? Drain the drive oil before pulling back cap, and make sure there is not excessive metal in the fluid

Sounds like you have a bad cable that started binding and finally gave......I hope.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/techbk/94/94hg2a.pdf

Stole that link (thanks Sydwayz) from our thread about ours getting hard to get into reverse. It would go into gear most of the time, but sometimes would need to put it in, back to neutral, then back to reverse again to get it in.

Turns out the ball under the rear cover was seized up and a little out of adjustment.

New fluid and getting the ball working free solved our issue.

You can also take the cable loose from the shift mech on the transom/engine and shift it to make sure that the cable is ok.