Looking for he - removing Velvet drive installing Bravo >

Looking for he - removing Velvet drive installing Bravo

Notices

Looking for he - removing Velvet drive installing Bravo

Old 09-29-2014, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
1.91 ratio. this is a shaft boat engine you picked up. NOT a TRS velvet drive. is the boat you are installing it in already a Bravo boat? did it come with any of the parts? where is the starter? down low on the engine where it goes in a car-I/O? or on top pointing towards the transom? if that case the ring gear is in the wrong place for your needs. please tell me you are not converting a shaft boat to Bravo...
Not sure why you think this is not a Velvet drive or where you got your misinformation - the tag on the transmission clearly says Velvet Drive. Pretty sure I don't know you so I'm wondering how you know what engine package I bought or what the application was it came out of. The question I'm trying to get some input on is what all is required (parts) to convert from what is an engine that was used in a Velvet drive application to what will now be used in a Bravo application. No where in my post is it stated I am converting a Shaft drive boat to a Bravo. Also if you re-read my question I am trying to confirm what the location difference is if any there is between the existing X-Drive location and the new Bravo that will be installed - again in a totally different hull.
I appreciate your input but please ask questions before you make assumptions on my application. Thank you.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i didn't say it isn't a velvet drive, I said it isn't a TRS velvet drive. you see the round fat pumpkiney looking back half to the transmission, with a 4 bolt flange sticking out of it? that is the gear reduction part of the trans. TRS velvet drives are no gear reduction and the trans case is completely different than a shaft boat trans. this motor-trans was not in a TRS boat. I was joking about converting a shaft to I/O. Now, back to my question; is the boat you are installing this in already a bravo boat? or is it a trs boat, or what? you also need to double check the rotation of that engine. it could be opposite than what ALL I/O boats use.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have all 3 .at the shop right now .yes they did make a bw fnr gearbox with a reduction unit that sent the power back v drive style . Trs has no internal f-r shift and usually runs steep gears to run big props .do tell why you wish to tackle this ,its do able , the velvet ,Trs combo has some good points depending on specific boat .
Old 03-01-2015, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes coupler, starter flywheel and flywheel housing,. ,You'll also need a crank or pulley driven raw water pump. If the starter is on the rear port side then its LHR and you have no worries. If it was reverse rotation(RHR) the starter would be to the rear on the starboard side. if that is the case then it needs main and timing seals a camshaft , the pistons swapped 180* and a timing set.. or just reverse the shifter cable. Every reverse rotation from GM came with the same flat tappet camshaft so there's no upgrade unless it's custom made. It's a 50/50 shot if it's from a twin engine boat, but if it was from a boat with a single engine and drive package the chances are better that it's standard LHR . Good luck with it