Boating Rookie Needs Advice

Notices

Boating Rookie Needs Advice

Old 09-29-2014, 04:05 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boating Rookie Needs Advice

I've got a 2000 Baja 25 Outlaw w/ Bravo 1 (340 hrs) and got some serious slop in the drive. Real tough to maneuver around the docks. I got it out of the water for the season and found a guy I trust to help me pull the drive off. Now I have been told that it is the Gimbal Ring that needs replacing. Is that accurate? Do I need an entire new transom assembly or just the ring itself. Going to pull the motor to get at it instead of drilling. Anything else I should replace since I am getting this deep into it? Thanks for you help guys...
Old 09-29-2014, 04:16 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Either a new, or rebuilt gimbal ring,,,,, or add hydraulic steering

If you end up replacing the ring,,,,, get a new steer shaft ( will probably be pitted and corroded ) and steer shaft seal as well
Old 09-29-2014, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

First figure out where the slop actually is. Most likely the little tiller arm.. The upper pivot pin on the gimble ring attaches to iit. At that point wear loosen the tiller arm, sometimes you can tighten it back up with the pinch bolt, sometimes you have to replace the pivot pin and or tiller arm. If you are going to rip into it, now is a good time to replace the bellows and gimble bearing,
Old 09-29-2014, 04:37 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

So no need for new transom assembly then. Just the ring, steer shaft and seal should do the trick?
Old 09-29-2014, 04:39 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Slop is side to side (when on trailer) and pretty significant. Since motor will be out, I would like to replace anything that needs to be replaced. Don't want to have to pull again.
Originally Posted by phragle
First figure out where the slop actually is. Most likely the little tiller arm.. The upper pivot pin on the gimble ring attaches to iit. At that point wear loosen the tiller arm, sometimes you can tighten it back up with the pinch bolt, sometimes you have to replace the pivot pin and or tiller arm. If you are going to rip into it, now is a good time to replace the bellows and gimble bearing,
Old 09-29-2014, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

The gimble ring itself is usually ok, its the pin and the tiller that usually take the beating.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're asking what you should do while the engine is also out, you should probably replace the bilge pump, hose and blower hoses. A nice coat of paint. Fix some
Of bajas horrendus rigging from the factory. Give the engine a nice bath and maybe a coat of paint wouldn't hurt. New belts and impeller. Add an oil drain hose to the drain pan if you don't have one installed,

depending how long you've owned the boat id put a new starter on it if it's been on there 4-5 years. (I'm a guy who ways worries about battery's and starting)

I'm sure there's more. That's just off the top of my head. Just hang around here long enough and we will love to spend your money lol.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw252k
Slop is side to side (when on trailer) and pretty significant. Since motor will be out, I would like to replace anything that needs to be replaced. Don't want to have to pull again.
check it with the engine running
Old 09-29-2014, 07:26 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Search JR Marine, their aftermarket replacement parts are engineered better than stock. Used them on a past boat to repair bad ring, pin, and u-bolt.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

The upper swivel pin nuts are supposed to be retorqued every so often, to take up any slack from wear/stretching. Nobody ever does that, and it turns into a slop fest in there. I had a bravo boat years ago, that had some play there. I loosened, and retorqued the nuts to spec, and it really took out alot of the play.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.