Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Bravo x drive, black/burnt oil?  Pics. >

Bravo x drive, black/burnt oil? Pics.

Notices

Bravo x drive, black/burnt oil? Pics.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

honestly our bravo xr magnets look like that pretty regularly, and I just had one of them gone thru. maybe being bravo x's and helical they should look clean?
Old 10-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

My Bravo1 magnets looked like that, I recently tore it down to see what was causing it,, my gears were perfect and look like new and bearings looked very good,, but my clutch was very worn down, so while I had it apart I replaced all bearings and a new clutch.

Last edited by 253; 10-12-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:43 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a very similar situation to the OP on my starboard drive (my drives spin in, so rotation is the same as the OP's port motor). Drive oil came out black compared to the other two drives which were nice and green. I also noticed during the latter part of the season that the starboard shifter had some play in it, ie: it would move much more freely off the neutral position compared to the other two drives which require much more positive pressure to engage the drives in either direction.. There was only a little metal powder on the magnet, no flakes really. Bravo 1 XR / short sportmaster lower.

What do you guys think?
Old 11-03-2014, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

My magnets looked a little better than that just before I blew my drive. Check out All American Drives as well.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Just to update this thread. So far this year Steve has about 10-15 hours on the drive and I just checked / changed the oil and ................................ Its like brand new! No shavings, nothing. Super clean and green. So makes me also wonder if the last marina just pencil whipped the boat threw. The drive and boat has been running great. Will up date again when changing comes due again.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by 92nsx
Just to update this thread. So far this year Steve has about 10-15 hours on the drive and I just checked / changed the oil and ................................ Its like brand new! No shavings, nothing. Super clean and green. So makes me also wonder if the last marina just pencil whipped the boat threw. The drive and boat has been running great. Will up date again when changing comes due again.
There is no rhyme or reason to what you see on the magnets. Our old 292 always had shavings on the magnets. Ran it pretty hard, several poker runs, ocean running, etc and never had an issue.

I've read stories where people's magnets were clean, couple hours later they broke a gear.

Regarding the black oil...it was probably just old. Who knows the last time it was changed.