Opinions on 1989 bravo one >

Opinions on 1989 bravo one

Notices

Opinions on 1989 bravo one

Old 10-13-2014, 08:48 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Same boat from alpha to bravo 1 change over. the test showed the bravo to be 1 to 2 mph slower across the board. Propshaft heights are the same. FWIW.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BUP
Ok I found that I have stored thru Mercruiser The Bravo history book that tells everything straight about their Bravo products from the start in 1988 thru 2005.

Bravo 1 for 1988 and 1989 - the 2 gear oil reservoirs was an add on and the easy add on to connect was to mount / screw the oil line into the vent hole plug in the upper. For 1988 and 1989 they had NO gear lube passages in the driveshaft housing or the bell housing. They had oil dip stick in the upper top cap. They drained the gear oil front lower bullet.

1990 here is where I was talking about the hydro dynamics of it. - 1990 "bravo 1 received streamline gearcase - strut moved forward 2 inches" this offered better hydo dynamics.
1990- Bravo 1 drain plug was now in the rear of the propshaft carrier this new carrier is called C2 carrier - Mercruiser terms
1990 Bravo 1 gear lube was added along with the correct oil passages thru the driveshaft housings and transom assemblies.
1990 bravo 1 dipstick totally removed from the top cap cover in the upper.

If I had to say - the 1993 bravo outdrive was probable the strongest OEM STOCK OUT OF THE BOX outdrive made by them.FWIW.

I am glad I found this Bravo history info thru mercruiser stored on my puter. I would not have looked if it wasn't for your post.
Nice piece of info here .
Old 10-15-2014, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

John you still looking for a pair of sea strainers ? Text me and we will do some horse trading
Old 10-15-2014, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Ok bought the boat for bravo drive how nice of them to throw the 454 in the package for $400 unfortunally they did come with the complete boat. Ran, shifted everything seemed good, even took for test ride.
It does have a square rez in the bilge for drive, has a line from bottom out inner transom platr starboard of drive bellow that enters the upper housing no visable dipstick and does have a shield around the lower and gimble at the bottom where the drive tucks inside the gimble. Serial # tag has no number stamped on it. I will clean better in the light and verify.
Any new ideas as to age?