bravo1 shift cable r&r >

bravo1 shift cable r&r

Notices

bravo1 shift cable r&r

Old 10-13-2014, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bravo1 shift cable r&r

So ive gathered up the parts I need , but I noticed the cable sheathing looked melted on the shift cable. How do you attach a fish line to pull it back through the transom assembly routed correctly? mine seems to come out a half inch gap before the coupler.
I'm worried if I just pull the old one out I'll play hull getting the new one back in correctly, or am I over thinking this.
Also can the gimble ring be removed with upper pin in place?
Old 10-14-2014, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I replaced my cable, it wasn't that hard. make sure you have the tool to set the shift end correctly. Most of the time all you have to do is replace the inner, makes it much easier, just pull out the old center and slip in the new, adjust and done.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:26 PM
Registered

Unfortunately it's the outer sheathing that is the problem. The inner seems fine. I've got the helmet off so I'm trying to be preventative while tore down.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:44 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

ken you make your fish for the new cable from the inner core wire of the old one U are pulling out. I posted this info up here a while back how to do it. Hopefully you can find it. Good luck Also we always changed the outer with new and a new inner core wire and new shift cable bellows and hose clamp regardless. If your bellows is rip that can bring water into the cable and stay wet so just replacing the inner core wire will not have longevity. Also the old outer can get kinked, nicked or chaffed over time. believe me I have seen my share of shift cable replacements for all alphas to all bravo apps.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:07 PM
Registered

Thanks bup ive loosened the bellows clamp but its holding fast so far . Thought about clipping out drive end of cable off then sliding sheath off slide new sheath on, pull old cable out slide new in. Also replace bellows and clamps .
Will this work? And yes I'll have to get the adjustment tool, figured I could get a close measurement from current setup for starters.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:21 PM
Registered

Just reread your post Jim , I think what I just said is what you meant. Makes sense to me, as the transom assembly in my boat is somewhat of a black hole for midgets and contortionists.
thanks again, Ken
Old 10-20-2014, 09:00 PM
Registered

Cable swap went well enough, DONT fumble finger the little brass barrel that retains the cable end , finally recovered it with the help a blowgun. 15 bucks for a new one , but we'll have to order it... really?
Old 10-29-2014, 08:06 PM
Registered

Okay some it's time to put it all back together again this weekend, how do you get a the old adhesive off the transom to to start the reasseballly the process, and any tricks to getting the bellows on? Sorry but the first time for me doing this.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buck35
Okay some it's time to put it all back together again this weekend, how do you get a the old adhesive off the transom to to start the reasseballly the process, and any tricks to getting the bellows on? Sorry but the first time for me doing this.
Driveshaft bellows are easy, they fit into a groove on the gimbal housing and a metal ring expands them and keeps them in place on the helmet. Exhaust is a different story and if you are through hull only I wouldn't even bother with them. If you do need to put them on, make sure the surfaces are super clean and follow the directions on the glue. Getting one of the expander tools will help tremendously. I use acetone to clean off old glue.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:23 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Brake cleaner or carb cleaner on a heavy duty shop rag for bellows adhevsive cleaning also scotch brite pad not too course. Then clean all that up afterwards with brake cleaner or denatured alcohol so it leaves no chemical residue behind on the flange area.

All bravo apps do use the 2 side exhaust bellows anymore- Mercruiser changed all of that, they want you to use the one side open end exhaust bellows SLEEVE and it is so simple to install because you are installing only one end of the exhaust bellows sleeve. FYI its the end closes to the transom as to which end gets installed. Mercruiser has a Service Bulletin on it as well. For the last 10 or a tad less years all Bravo's have the exhaust bellows sleeve installed from the factory when new unless you have 100 % thru hull exhaust (no silent choice) then no bellows sleeve installed most of the time but I have it there to.

Last edited by BUP; 10-29-2014 at 09:29 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.