Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Drive Issue/Repair Shop in Upstate (Rochester Area), NY >

Drive Issue/Repair Shop in Upstate (Rochester Area), NY

Notices

Drive Issue/Repair Shop in Upstate (Rochester Area), NY

Old 01-27-2016, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I am back on this again looking for some more help. At the end of last season, the noise had not gotten any better and when I changed the drive oil, this is what I found:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138043.../in/datetaken/

This all came off of the magnet in the lower. The upper magnet was clean. Based on these, I think the problem is in the lower, but some confirmation would be nice. Aside from swapping my lower for a buddies to 100% rule out the upper, I'm not sure how I can confirm. Any new thoughts would be appreciated. I am looking at getting a new lower, but want to confirm that it is the problem.

Thanks

Last edited by Vanharca; 01-27-2016 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Correct Photos
Old 01-27-2016, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To tell you the truth, that looks pretty normal. How many hours on it since it was last changed? when you had it done did he flush the cases good? how much power is pushing it and how hard do you run it? these are all questions to figure out whats going on.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:45 PM
Registered

I am only pushing it with a stock 454 MAG MPI with 385 hp. This was after about 10 hours since I had it gone through mid season. As far as being hard on it, I did a couple of fun runs, one of which was in some pretty rough waters on Lake Ontario with a lot of on off throttle managing the waves. It's only a 26' boat and there were probably 3'-5' waves that day. The rest of the time I would say I am very gentle on it.

Thanks
Old 01-27-2016, 02:54 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't like the looks of the flakes along with the fuzz.. Something is producing metal and it continues to show up. I would have it taken apart and looked at. If it were a Merc lower I would say the lower gears are starting to fail. But with an SEI it is hard to tell.

Dick
Old 01-27-2016, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

10hrs is quick for that much. Was the gear lube dirty as well?
Old 01-27-2016, 03:21 PM
Registered

I don't think the lube was dirty or worn. If you click on the one picture you can zoom and get a feel for it. Still bluish green, but very metallic.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:55 PM
Registered

Vanharca. I was just looking at the pictures you posted. Do you know if when the old lower went did someone just bolt up a new lower without taking the upper apart and cleaning all the metal from broken lower out of the upper. That metal on your finger looks just like what happens when the other half of a drive blows and the good half isn't cleaned. Flushing the good half doesn't cut it. Those little flakes get imbedded in to the bearings if run with out cleaning.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:17 PM
Registered

Unfortunately I don't know the scenario with the old drive, I didn't know the lower was aftermarket until going through old receipts when I got it home.

What I do know is that the upper and lower were disassembled and thoroughly cleaned during the service that happened 10 hours prior to this gear lube change.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:47 PM
Registered

Did you clean out lube resivoir in boat before putting drive back on
Old 01-27-2016, 06:50 PM
Registered

I didn't when the drive was serviced, but I did the previous season while changing the drive lube. There may have been a few hours use between those times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.